|Real name/Full name||Nauman Hamid Niaz Facebook|
|Names Earned||Cricket Encyclopedia Brandsynario|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 178 cm
in meters- 1.78 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 10”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 70 kg
in pounds- 155 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Medium Ash Brown|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||Tamgha-e-Imtiaz by the Government of Pakistan in 2014|
|Date of Birth||19 November 1969 (Wednesday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||52 Years|
|Birthplace||Lahore, West Pakistan|
|School||St Mary’s Academy in Rawalpindi|
|College/University||• Aitchison College (Lahore)
• Rawalpindi Medical University
• The University of Western Australia (Perth)
• University of Oxford (UK)
|Educational Qualification||Post-doctorate Alchetron|
|Hobbies||Collecting cricketer's autographs|
|Controversy||• Signing a contract with Karachi Kings- this controversy took place in 2017 when it was alleged that Nauman spoiled the image of PTV Sports channel by signing a contract with Karachi Kings owned by ARY Communications. Clarifying the issue, he said,
"Why was he made an OSD? Principally and morally it was wrong, if PTV Sports could make Quetta Gladiators and Islamabad United as their media and brand partners what was wrong with the Karachi Kings. PSL is owned by the Pakistan Cricket Board of which Prime Minister is the Patron. If Najam Sethi who surely has a conflict of interest working with one of the television groups and also being PCB’s Executive Committee Head and also at the helm of the PSL. Interestingly, if Sethi could be photographed smiling with ARY’s CEO why wasn’t he reprimanded? It should have been done on equality.Karachi Kings may well be owned by Salman Iqbal of the ARY Communications Limited, however, it is one of the most expensive franchises of the PSL run by the PCB. If PCB could earn money from ARY-owned Karachi Kings what was so wrong PTV doing it? If Karachi Kings was a legitimate recognized franchise of the PSL like Lahore Qalandars, Islamabad United, Peshawar Zalmi and Quetta Gladiators then why there is government’s discriminatory stance against PTV Sports becoming their media and brand partners."
|Relationships & More|
|Children||Son- Ali Niaz|
|Parents||Father- Hamid Niaz (Retired Lieutenant General in Pakistan Army)
Mother- Nusrat Hamid
|Siblings||Two elder siblings|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Nauman Niaz
- Nauman Niaz is a renowned cricket Correspondent from Pakistan who is also the Director of Sports & Syndication of the Pakistan Television Corporation (PTC) Channel.
- Besides this, he is also a writer, news anchor, and an ardent memorabilia collector. He has written numerous articles based on cricket and hosted several cricket shows on live television. He also authored several cricket books like Wounded Tiger: A History of Cricket in Pakistan and Pakistan Cricket ‘The Story of Betrayal’ (2010). His famous book “The Fluctuating Fortunes” was commissioned by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) in 2005. He also runs a clinic in Islamabad named ‘Mehmooda Niaz Clinic’. Besides all this, he also served as the selector of the Punjab Cricket Association. The Nation He is regarded as the official historian of Pakistan Cricket (The Fluctuating Fortunes, IV Volumes, 4768 pages).
- He started his schooling in 1975. Since childhood, he has had a profound love for cricket. Due to which he did several jobs in the Pakistani Sports industry. He is a PMDC registered professional and is working for more than two decades. In Pakistan, he has earned a stature of a celebrity for his immense service for Pakistan across various platforms.
- Nauman Niaz hails from Lahore and received his early education from Rawalpindi in the Punjab province of Pakistan. His father was being appointed as the doctor of the Pakistani Army by the former military ruler General Pervez Musharraf. The Namal
- His television career started in 1996 when a Pakistani journalist Syed Talat Hussein invited him to his show ‘Swarey Swarey’ to discuss Sri Lankan batter Sanath Jayasuriya and Romesh Kaluwithrana’s newly appointed technique during the 1996 Cricket World cup. This show became popular in no time. In 1997, he appeared in cricket analysis shows during South Africa’s tour of Pakistan. In 1999, he was appointed as the media coordinator by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and soon got promoted to Manager Coordinator rank of the Asian Cricket Council (ACC). Later, he served as the Media manager of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB). In 2001, he resigned from PCB to focus his career in clinical medicine. He also does commentary for Tens sports and Star Sports.
- Between 2001 to 2010, he worked in several private channels in Pakistan. As PTV acquired the rights of the 2011 Cricket World Cup, Nauman was again hired for the monologue program on the PTV channel. He is also widely acclaimed for bringing some of the famous cricketers to the post-match analysis show on PTV. Jonty Rhodes (South Africa), Herschelle Gibbs (South Africa), Damien Martyn (Australia), and Saqlain Mushtaq (Pakistan) are some of the prominent ones.
- He is been accredited with several qualifications like MBBS (Pb), MRCP (UK), FRCP (Fellow Royal College of Physicians) from Glasgow, FRCP (Ireland), FRCP (London), FRCP (Edin), Ph.D. (WA), and Post Doctorate (Oxford). Marham Find a Doctor
- In November 2018, he underwent a bone marrow transplant in London. The Tamgha-e-Imtiaz recipient wrote on Twitter, The News
“Just remember I am a man fulfilled. I desired to complete my post-doctoral I did it at Oxford. Life has just been so fulfilling and fascinating. I have never conceded. Don’t worry I’ll fight until the end. And if I don’t survive do forgive me, I am only a human.”
- In January 2021, he has been appointed as the Director of Training Academy at PTV Academy, Islamabad. He came to the limelight in October 2021 when he had an argument with the guest and the legendary cricketer Shoaib Akhtar during a live show and humiliated him in front of a large audience.
- The incident took place on 26 October 2021 at midnight during a live chat show “Game on Hai” hosted by Dr. Nauman Niaz on PTV Channel. The guests included were former cricketers; David Gower, Sir Vivian Richards, Azhar Mahmood, Rashid Latif, and Sana Mir (Pakistani Women cricketer) apart from Shoaib. This unwanted incident occurred when Shoaib Akhtar termed Lahore Qalandars’ player development program as the reason for the success behind Harris Rauf’s performance in a T20 World Cup match against New Zealand where he took four wickets. However, Nauman interrupted and told that Shaheen Shah Afridi is the find of Pakistan’s Under-19 cricket. To this, Shoaib repeated that he is referring to Harris Rauf. After a brief argument, Nauman Niaz told him to leave the show and further added
“You’re being a little rude and I don’t want to say this: but if you’re being over smart, you can go. I am saying this on-air.”
This followed up with a commercial break. Following the resumption of the show, Akhtar was still seen on set but was looking uncomfortable. To ensure the easy running of the show, both the celebrities tried to pretend that it was just pulling each other’s leg and the whole scenario was pre-planned. But eventually, Shoaib decided to leave the show after apologizing to other guests and later resigned as the cricket analyst from PTV.
Dr Nauman Niaz and Shoaib Akhtar had a harsh exchange of words during live PTV transmission. pic.twitter.com/nE0OhhtjIm
— Kamran Malik (@Kamran_KIMS) October 26, 2021
- After the show, Shoaib Akhtar revealed during a video statement that the latter words were just to calm down the situation. He was wrongly treated in front of all the legendary cricketers of the world in that show. On his official Twitter handle, he told, The News International
“Dr. Nauman was obnoxious and rude when he asked me to leave the show, It was embarrassing, especially when you have legends like Sir Vivian Richards and David Gower sitting on the set with some of my contemporaries and seniors and millions watching.”
Multiple clips are circulating on social media so I thought I shud clarify.dr noman was abnoxious and rude wen he asked me to leave the show,it was embarrassing specially wen u have legends like sir Vivian Richards and David gower sitting on the set with some of my contemporaries
— Shoaib Akhtar (@shoaib100mph) October 26, 2021
He further added,
“I tried to save everyone from embarrassment by saying I was pulling Dr. Noman’s leg with this mutual understanding that he will also politely apologize and we will move on with the show, which he refused to do. Then I had no other choice.”
- Nauman was largely condemned by the cricket fans for his inappropriate conduct against the legendary pacer. Some of the tweets were like,
Narcissist Nauman Niaz really needs to learn how how to treat his guests. Shoaib Akhtar didn't deserve to be embarrassed like that,…. on live Tv.
— Asfandyar Bhittani (@BhittaniKhannnn) October 26, 2021
Dr. Nauman Niaz (@DrNaumanNiaz) should publicly apologize on live tv. We don't want to show embarrassment to our legend, Shoaib Akhtar (@shoaib100mph), in front of so many legends. It's totally unfair.#PAKvNZ #Gameonhai#PTVSports
— #PakvsAfg 🇵🇰🇦🇫 29th Oct (@muneeb_shafique) October 26, 2021
- Reacting to all the criticisms, Dr. Nauman responded,
“one side of the story always attracts.”
He further wrote on Twitter,
“I wonder why one has to be reminded shoaib100mph is a star. He [Akhtar] has been the best of the best, he shall always be. He has brought laurels to the country is undeniable. One side of the story always attracts [attention] nonetheless having been friends for ages I’ll always wish him the best.”
- Talking about modern-day’s cricket, he said,
“It has become very fast and more competitive than before. What AB de Villiers does today, nobody could contemplate the possibility of it 10 years ago. They are breaking human limits.”