|• Monisha Jaising Ravi
• Monisha Ravi Jaising
|• Bohemian luxe princess
• Re-inventor of the Kurti
|• Fashion designer
|Physical Stats & More
|in centimeters- 166 cm
in meters- 1.66 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 5”
|Date of Birth
|24 May 1966 (Tuesday) Firstpost
|Age (as of 2023)
|Bai Avabai F. Petit Girls' High School, Mumbai
|• American College for the Applied Arts (now called American InterContinental University), London, UK (graduated in 1989)
• The Royal College of Art (RCA) in London Facebook - Monisha Jaising
|• Bachelor of Fashion Design (graduated in 1989)
• An honours degree in Fashion Illustration
|She got a flower tattoo inked on her left bicep.
|• Accused of copying designs
One day after the launch of MXS by Monisha Jaising and Shweta Bachchan, in 2018, Instagram user Diet Sabya, took it on her social media and accused the duo of plagiarism. The Indian Express While comparing an MXS tee and the original t-shirt, which was being sold by another seller, Diet Sabya said,
"When you google ‘Airplane Mode Sweatshirt’ — the first search that pops-up is a little-known loungewear brand called, @tlroom. The brand retails out of @nordstromnyc, and is known for its cool girl vibe, comfy sweats and chill silhouettes. And, now @monishajaising and @shwetabachchan’s new brand — @mxsworld — has the same sweatshirt with the exact same slogan. So, who do we blame the mess on?"
• Raided by the Income Tax Department
The Income Tax Department retrieved jewellery worth Rs 8,70,740 during a raid at Monisha Jaising's house in 2018. Amit Shukla, the assistant commissioner of the Income Tax Department, was then the target of Monisha's lawsuit, which she filed in the Income Tax Appellate Tribunal in Mumbai. In her lawsuit, Monisha alleged that the I-T Department had incorrectly put Rs. 2,67,401 to the category "Income from House Property." The department, she further alleged, had broken the law by denying her the chance to provide justifications. She appealed for the case to be dismissed by the tribunal. Indian Kanoon
|Relationships & More
|Ravi Jaising (chairman of Monisha Jaising Luxuries Llp.)
• Karan Jaising (entrepreneur; designated partner of Monisha Jaising Luxuries Llp.)
• Yudhishthir Jaising (entrepreneur; designated partner of Monisha Jaising Luxuries Llp.)
|Father- Narain Bhojwani (deceased; professor, real estate)
Mother- Name Not Known (deceased)
|Brother- Name Not Known
|Daughter-in-law: Aanchal Wadhwa (Yudhishtir Jaising's wife; works at Monisha Jaising Luxuries Llp.)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Monisha Jaising
- Monisha Jaising is a renowned Indian fashion designer and women’s clothing manufacturer. She is widely known for being one of the first few designers who launched her label Monisha Jaising Luxuries Llp. with Ensemble, a multi-brand retail store.
- Monisha’s father, Narain Bhojwani, moved to India from England. According to Monisha, he was a very artistic man and always had a keen interest in architecture. Interior designing was often a topic of discussion at their home.
- Monisha’s sons, Yudhishthir Jaising and Karan Jaising, are both national-level swimmers and jointly run Antigravity Club, a fitness club in Mumbai.
- She was one of the students selected for a competition, held at her school, where she created the Bai Avabai F. Petit Girls’ High School’s march-past outfits and took home the top honours. Later, she took part in an exhibition and sale that was held at the Taj group’s St James Court Hotel in London and met James Ferreira, an Indian fashion designer. Jaising talked about meeting James in an interview, and said,
I saw how amazing he was, and how all the foreigners were lapping up his clothes. I thought he was amazing.”
- In 1989, while travelling, Monisha’s husband, Ravi Jaising, was reading about Tarun Tahiliani launching a new concept store. Ravi advised Monisha to meet Tarun and talk about her designs. While talking about how her clothes found a home at Ensemble, Monisha said,
My husband Ravi was reading about someone called Tarun Tahiliani on a flight, and that he was setting up this amazing new concept store. This was in 1989. He said I should meet him, and so I did. When I walked into Ensemble I saw how gorgeous it was – so ahead of its time, and filled with such stylish stuff from Tarun, Abu Jani and Sandeep Khosla, Rohit Bal, Rohit Khosla and Sunita Kapoor, Sonam’s mum!”
On meeting Monisha, Tahiliani was impressed by her work, and offered Monisha a rack at his Ensemble store. Monisha became one of the first designers who began selling her clothes through Ensemble. Her flagship store is in Bandra West, Mumbai.
- Thanks to Monisha Jaising, the traditional kurtas have received a fashionable makeover. Modern apparel for children, bridal gowns, resort wear, and athletics are all featured in her brand’s inventory. Monisha Jaising goes to far-off places and gets inspiration from her Indian ancestry. Modern architecture and art serve as inspiration for the Monisha Jaising line’s inventive cuts, prints, and embroideries.
- In 2004, Jaising entered the market for upscale sportswear by adding sequins to bomber jackets and track pants.
- The Bohemian Luxe Princess retails from Ensemble in Mumbai and Delhi, Voyage in London, and Aesthetics in Dubai, New York, Miami, Las Vegas, Denmark, Singapore, and Hong Kong.
- The Lakme Fashion Week on 29 August 2015 celebrated Monisha Jaising’s 25 years in the fashion industry and her entry into e-commerce. In an interview, she talked about how she got the inspiration for creating the Riviera collection, which was showcased at this event, and said,
The collection is all about modernizing Riviera Fashion, as it existed in the ’60s and ’70s and lends a sense of freedom and independence that the modern girl desires. The ensembles will redefine luxury for women all over the globe. We are already dreaming of breakfast by the port in a classic kurti with flared embroidered pants, topped with a floppy hat and a villa luncheon sporting a pop-coloured dress and a tan.”
- Several popular Bollywood celebrities including Gauri Khan, Kareena Kapoor, Shilpa Shetty, and Anushka Sharma have showcased Monisha Jaising’s designs in public events such as fashion shows, award shows, film premiers, and private events including weddings.
- In 2008, she bought herself a compact space in Pali Hill in Mumbai.
- She is the director of Azzura International Fashions Private Limited.
- The models donned Monisha’s creations for the first time at the Aashni + Co Wedding Show in 2017. She has also shown off her collections at a number of fashion weeks, including Lakme Fashion Week, PCJ Delhi Couture Week, Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week, and India Fashion Week.
- In 2018, Monisha and Amitabh Bachchan‘s daughter, Shweta Bachchan Nanda, collaborated to design a special look for a friend’s birthday. The two decided to take their collaboration seriously when the look received positive feedback, and the outcome was the label Monisha & Shweta Luxe Design Private Limited. MXS made its debut in the fashion industry while closing the second day of FDCI + Lakmé Fashion Week 2018. MXS was showcased at the 2020 Godrej L’Affaire.
- Monisha enjoys working out, but she treats herself to her favourite delicacies on her cheat days once a week. The Times of India
- Monisha designed the outfits for his son’s wedding in 2022. She designed a 14-panel silk organza lehenga and a scalloped décolletage choli with a corset-like bodice for her daughter-in-law. Inspired by vintage French lace, Monisha hand-stitched the Swarovski crystals using the Zardozi method. The groom, Yudhishthir, donned an oatmeal sherwani that was embroidered with a chevron design.
- During the COVID-19 pandemic, journalist Namrata Zakaria, Ensemble executive director Tina Tahiliani Parikh, and Bollywood actress Kareena Kapoor collaborated on a fundraising effort named Baradari to support communities of weavers, embroiderers, and craftspeople. The group of three represents 108 Indian fashion designers, including well-known figures like Sabyasachi Mukherjee, Tarun Tahiliani, Manish Malhotra, and Monisha Jaising. Grazia
- In an interview, while talking about Baroque appliques and feather accents used in her designs, Monisha said,
The Baroque era has always inspired me; I get a lot of my embroidery motif and technique ideas from Baroque ceilings that adorn churches and from palaces like the one in Versailles. I first used feather accents on a sari collection I had designed (With Love From Notting Hill) in the fall of 2010. Since then, I have been using it as accents in my couture collection.”
- For the women’s IPL auction in 2023, Nita Ambani appeared in a cricket shirt created by Monisha Jaising.
- Monisha consumes alcoholic beverages occasionally.