|Famous for||Being the daughter of the Indian politician Swami Prasad Maurya|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 5”
|Political Party||• Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP)
• Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
|Political Journey||• Contesting the Zila Panchayat elections from Etah in Uttar Pradesh (2010)
• Joined the Bahujan Samaj Party (2012)
• Contested the 2012 election from Kasganj and lost
• Contested from the Mainpuri constituency (as a member of the Bahujan Samaj Party) but lost to Mulayam Singh Yadav (2014)
• Resigned from the Bahujan Samaj Party (2016)
• Joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (2016)
• Contested the Indian general election (on BJP ticket) from the Badaun constituency and defeated the senior Samajwadi Party leader Dharmendra Yadav (Mulayam Singh Yadav’s nephew) (2019)
• Became the member of the 17th Lok Sabha
|Date of Birth||3 January 1985 (Thursday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||37 Years|
|Birthplace||Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh|
|Hometown||Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh|
|College/University||ERA’s Lucknow Medical College, Lucknow|
|Educational Qualification||M.B.B.S. My Neta|
|Religious Views||Sanghmitra Maurya was born into a Hindu family. In 2018, she, she along with her family members and 500 low-caste Hindus, gathered at the Veera Maidan, Maharashtra, to convert to Buddhism. They converted to Buddhism by chanting,
"I shall have no faith in Rama and Krishna who are believed to be incarnations of God nor shall I worship them. … I do not and shall not believe that Lord Buddha was the incarnation of Vishnu. … I shall hereafter lead my life according to the principles and teachings of the Buddha." The Week Facebook- Sanghmitra Maurya
|Caste||Other Backward Class (OBC) The Indian Express|
|Address||• Permanent Address
6/237 E-Vipul Khand, Gomti Nagar, Lucknow-226010, U.P.
• Present Address (as of 2019)
216, Uttar Pradesh Bhawan, S.P. Marg, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi-110021
|Tattoo||She has a tattoo inked on her right forearm which is dedicated to her parents and her son.
|Controversies||• A complaint was registered against Sanghmitra Maurya in the Kotwali Mainpuri police station in 2013 for promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, residence, and language. My Neta
• A suit was also filed against her in the Gunnaur police station in district Budaun for Illegal payments in connection with an election. My Neta
• In January 2022, when Aparna Yadav, daughter-in-law of SP Patron Mulayam Singh Yadav joined the Bharatiya Janata Party, Sanghmitra raised questions on her joining the BJP. Sangmitra called Yogi Adityanath her (Aparna Yadav) paternal cousin. Asianet News
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||Year, 2010|
|Husband/Spouse||Dr. Naval Kishore Shakya (m.2010- div. 19 January 2021) (Doctor & Politician)
|Parents||Father- Swami Prasad Maurya (an Indian politician and a member of the 17th Legislative Assembly of Uttar Pradesh of India)
Mother- Shiva Maurya
|Siblings||Brother- Utkrist Maurya
|Salary (approx.)||Rs. 3,30,000 (as of 2019, as a member of the 17th Lok Sabha) Web Archive|
|Assets/Properties (as of 2019)||Movable Assets
• Cash Rs. 1,50,000
• Bank Deposits Rs. 1,05,11,103
• Insurance Policies Rs. 1,22,44,990
• Motor Vehicles Rs. 84,000
• Jewellery Rs. 18,32,000
• Other assets (Revolver, Riafle, Donali Gun) Rs. 1,50,000
• Agricultural Land Rs. 8,00,000
• Residential Buildings Rs. 1,46,00,000 My Neta
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 4 crore (as of 2019) My Neta|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sanghmitra Maurya
- Sanghmitra Maurya is an Indian politician and doctor. She is a member of the 17th Lok Sabha, the lower house of the Parliament of India from Badaun, Uttar Pradesh.
- She was born 14 years after her parents got married.
- Sanghmitra grew up in Lucknow in a family with a political background.
- Post the completion of her primary and secondary education, she decided to study medicine as her father wanted her to become a doctor.
- While in college, Sanghmitra became friends with Naval Kishore Shakya. Reportedly, they both pursued MBBS from ERA’s Lucknow Medical College & Hospital at the same time. Soon, they began dating each other and tied the knot in 2010. Naval Kishore Shakya is an Indian politician and a cancer surgeon. He is a member of the Samajwadi Party.
- After pursuing MBBS, Maurya began working as a medical professional at the district hospital in Pratapgarh. While working there, she accepted a token salary of Rs. 100 and donated the rest of the amount to the hospital’s fund for poor patients. She worked there for some time and then resigned from her position to make a career in politics.
- In 2010, Sanghmitra contested the Zila Panchayat elections from Etah in Uttar Pradesh.
- Next, she joined the Bahujan Samaj Party and in 2012, contested the election from Kasganj (on a ticket of BSP). However, she miserably failed at the election.
- In 2014, she lost the election from the Mainpuri constituency (as a member of the Bahujan Samaj Party) to Mulayam Singh Yadav.
- In 2016, she resigned from the Bahujan Samaj Party and joined the Bharatiya Janata Party.
- Subsequently, she managed BJP’s Parivartan Yatra in five districts.
- She was also a prominent face in BJP’s women cell.
- In 2019, she contested the Indian general election from the Badaun constituency on a BJP ticket. In the election, she defeated the senior Samajwadi Party leader Dharmendra Yadav (Mulayam Singh Yadav’s nephew).
- She is a member of the 17th Lok Sabha, the lower house of the Parliament of India.
- Post her win in the 2019 general elections, she was made a member of the Committee on Welfare of Other Backward Classes in July 2019.
- She is also a member of the Standing Committee on Health and Family Welfare and Consultative Committee, Ministry of Rural Development, Ministry of Panchayati Raj since September 2019.
- In her leisure time, she loves to read and travel.
- She is inspired by the Indian politicians Kanshi Ram and Sushma Swaraj. During an interview, Sanghmitra revealed that she was also inspired by Mayawati at one point in time. Talking about Mayawati, Maurya said,
In her (Mayawati’s) first term she was so strict. But then something happened to her.”
- In an interview, Sanghmitra stated that her political philosophy was to give voice to the poor, the most marginalised, and the most backward. She said,
Till you do not prepare such people to stand shoulder to shoulder with you, your work is not done.”
She added that her priorities were to get a better medical college, improved rail and road connectivity, and avenues for girls’ education in Badaun constituency.
- Sanghmitra is a great writer and has written various compendious and meaningful articles on social topics in various magazines and journals.
- Maurya has been very active in social and cultural activities. Sanghmitra has been a part of the ‘Swajatiya Sammelan’ and various events associated with it (organised every year) for a long time.
- In 2017, she penned a book titled ‘Modism Ke Mayane’ along with Deepak KS. She has also penned the book ‘Buddhism Ki Batten.’
- Sanghmitra filed for a divorce with her husband on 21 December 2017 due to irrecoverable differences. The couple was granted a divorce on 19 January 2021.