Hometown: Dera Baba Nanak, Gurdaspur, Punjab
Age: 62 Years
Caste: Jat Sikh
|Profession(s)||Politician and Agriculturist|
|Famous for||Being the Deputy Chief Minister of Punjab in Charanjit Singh Channi-led Punjab Congress Government|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 178 cm
in meters- 1.78 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 10”
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Political Party||Indian National Congress
|Political Journey||• MLA from Fatehgarh Churian, Gurdaspur, Punjab (2002-2007)
• MLA from Dera Baba Nanak, Gurdaspur, Punjab (2012-2017)
• MLA from Dera Baba Nanak, Gurdaspur, Punjab (2017-Present)
• Cabinet Minister of Cooperation and Jails, Government of Punjab (2017)
• Deputy Chief Minister of Punjab (2021)
• Other Appointments:
1. Vice-President, Punjab Youth Congress
2. General Secretary PPCC
3. President at Primary Agro Service Society
4. Dharowali Chairman Privilege Committee
5. Member of Committee on Public Undertakings, GAC, Library
6. Member of Committee on Estimates of Punjab Vidhan Sabha
|Date of Birth||• Source 1: 1 February 1959 (Sunday) Grant Shala
• Source 2: 25 April 1959 (Saturday) News 18
|Age (as of 2021)||62 Years|
|Birthplace||Village Dharowali, Tehsil Dera Baba Nanak, District Gurdaspur, Punjab|
|Zodiac sign||• Aquarius (as per source 1 in the DOB section)
• Taurus (as per source 2 in the DOB section)
|Hometown||Village Dharowali, Tehsil Dera Baba Nanak, District Gurdaspur, Punjab|
|School||Government School, Chandigarh (class 10 in 1975)|
|College/University||Goswami Ganesh Dutta Sanatan Dharma College (SD College), Panjab University, Chandigarh|
|Educational Qualification||Graduation from Goswami Ganesh Dutta Sanatan Dharma College (SD College), Panjab University, Chandigarh My Neta|
|Religion/Religious Views||Sikhism Outlook India|
|Caste||Jat Sikh Outlook India|
|Controversies||• Dispute with Navjot Singh Sidhu
In October 2020, after resigning from the Punjab cabinet, Navjot Singh Sidhu was addressing the public from the party stage at Moga Anaj Mandi, Nankana Sahib, Punjab, for the first time in the presence of the Congress leader Rahul Gandhi (who was on a Punjab tour to promote ‘Save Agriculture’ mission). In the speech, Sidhu started attacking the then Chief Minister of Punjab, Captain Amarinder Singh. Randhawa, being the stage operator in that program, tried to stop him by putting a slip on the podium, but Sidhu didn’t stop, and while giving the speech, he said,
Don’t stop bhaji ajj, ke rakhya tussi sitting a lot.” which means 'Please don't stop me today, I have been sitting a lot.' Grant Shala
• Offensive Remarks on the Sikh Guru ‘Guru Nanak Dev Ji’
In 2019, he landed into controversy for making remarks on the Sikh Guru ‘Guru Nanak Dev Ji’ in an old video of him. Randhawa said,
Hun aa dekho na Guru Nanak sahib aa ae fauji bana ditta aa... dooro dekho ta captain sahib nahi lagde."
which means 'Now look at this Guru Nanak Sahib has been made a Soldier... doesn't he look likes Captain.'
The opposition leader demanded strict action against him as they considered it an insult to the Sikh community. Amar Ujala
• Dispute Between Captain Amarinder Singh and Sukhjinder Singh Randhawa
In 2021, after the dismissal of the report of the Special Investigation Team (SIT) set up in the Kotkapura firing, which was led by Kunwar Vijay Pratap on the sacrilege issued by the Punjab and Haryana High Court, the relations between Captain Amarinder Singh and Randhawa were affected adversely. Randhawa even submitted his resignation to Captain on 27 April 2021 due to the increasing conflicts in a cabinet meeting and raised questions on Advocate General of Punjab Atul Nanda, but Captain tore his resignation. Randhawa then opposed the cabinet meeting in Punjab and started opposing Captain Amarinder Singh, along with Navjot Singh Sidhu. Indian Express
• Involvement of PA in Cheating Case
In 2021, his personal assistant was accused in a cheating case for delivering sugar worth Rs. 74 lakh out of which only Rs. 57 lakh payment was made. While talking to the reporter, one of the politicians of the Shiromani Akali Dal said,
The high court has also asked the government to explain why the Minister’s PA, who is stated to be the mastermind behind this cheating case, has not been arrested so far. It is several days since the cheating case came to light as well as to disclosures that Mr Sukhjinder Randhawa’s PA used to use the minister’s office to strike such deals. It is clear that the minister is shielding his PA to ensure the skeletons in the former’s cupboards do not come tumbling down. A free and fair inquiry would not be possible so long as Randhawa stays in office." Tribune India
|Address||R/O Dharauali Hadbest no-0420,Teh Dera Baba Narak, Punjab|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||15 June|
|Wife/Spouse||Jatinder Kaur Randhawa
|Children||Son: Udhayveer Randhawa (politician)
• Simrat Kaur
• Divyjot Randhawa
|Parents||Father- Santokh Singh Randhawa (former Punjab congress chief for two times)
Mother- Manjit Kaur
|Siblings||Brother- Inderjit Singh Randhawa (elder; politician in Shiromani Akali Dal)
|Assets/Properties||Movable Assets (as of 2017)
• Cash: Rs. 90,000
• Deposits in Banks, Financial Institutions and Non-Banking Financial Companies: Rs. 7.34 lakh
• LIC or other insurance Policies: Rs. 50,000
• Motor Vehicles: Rs. 16 lakh
• Jewellery: Rs. 18 lakh
Immovable Assets (as of 2017)
• Agricultural Land: Rs. 1.9 crore
• Non-Agricultural Land: Rs. 50 lakh My Neta
|Total Income (in 2015-2016) (approx.)||Rs. 24.45 lakh My Neta|
|Net Worth||Rs. 2.9 crore My Neta|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sukhjinder Singh Randhawa
- Sukhjinder Singh Randhawa is an Indian politician and member of the Punjab Legislative Assembly (MLA). In 2021, he was appointed as the Deputy CM of Punjab. He is a member of the Indian National Congress.
- His father, Santokh Singh Randhawa, was a well-known leader of Congress in Punjab and was appointed as the Congress chief two times when he was alive.
- Sukhjinder was inclined towards politics since his college days. While he was in college, he was a member of the Indian Youth Congress party. Later, he was elected as the General Secretary of the Punjab Congress.
- In 2002, he contested for the MLA elections from Fatehgarh Churian seat of Gurdaspur, Punjab, and won for the first time. He could not win the seat in the 2007 Punjab Legislative Assembly elections.
- Randhawa then contested for the MLA seat from Dera Baba Nanak, Gurdaspur, Punjab and declared his victory for the second time in 2012.
- In 2015, he campaigned aggressively to replace the then President of Punjab Congress, Pratap Bajwa with Captain Amarinder Singh.
- In 2016, 42 MLAs from Congress submitted their resignation as a protest against the decision of the Supreme Court of India on the issue of the Sutlej-Yamuna Link (SYL) water canal. The decision of the court was,
Punjab does not have any right to unilaterally terminate water-sharing agreements with neighbouring states.”
- He won the MLA seat from Dera Baba Nanak, Gurdaspur, Punjab, in 2017 and was included in Captain Amarinder Singh’s council of ministers. He was appointed as the Cabinet Minister of Cooperation and Jails, Government of Punjab.
- In the 2017 Punjab Legislative Assembly elections, he was opposed by his elder brother, Inderjit Singh Randhawa. Later, Inderjit and his son Deepinder Singh Randhawa left Congress and joined the Shiromani Akali Dal. The Hindustan Times
- In August 2017, Sukhjinder, along with 32 other MLAs, penned down a letter to the then Chief Minister, Captain Amarinder Singh, to set up an inquiry against the Shiromani Akali Dal minister Bikram Singh Majithia in a drug trafficking case. Later, the differences started arising between the Captain and Randhawa because Randhawa wanted strict action against the Akalis in the drug trafficking case, which his party failed to do.
- He is one of the members of the ‘Majha Brigade’ from Congress in Punjab including two other Congress leaders, Tript Rajinder Bajwa and Sukhwinder Singh Sukh.
- On 17 June 2021, Randhawa penned down a letter to the central government asking for special security, which was rejected by the Union Home Ministry as they believed that there was no life threat to him from the external parties. Amar Ujala
- In 2021, after the resignation of the former Chief Minister of Punjab Captain Amarinder Singh, Sukhjinder Singh Randhawa’s name was suggested for the position of CM of Punjab. Later, he was appointed as one of the two Deputy CMs of Punjab. The other Deputy CM elected was Om Prakash Soni, and Charanjit Singh Channi was appointed as the 16th CM of Punjab. The oath ceremony took place at Raj Bhawan, Chandigarh, on 20 September 2021.
- In 2021, while talking about Captain Amarinder Singh, Randhawa said in an interview,
Captain is our senior. I have always treated him like my father and he has treated me like his son.”