Age: 47 Years
Caste: Bengali Brahmin
Hometown: Kolkata, West Bengal
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in feet inches- 5’ 6”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 55 kg
in pounds- 121 lbs
|Figure Measurements (approx.)||32-24-34|
|Political Party||• Indian National Congress (Youth Congress; 2008-2010)
• All India Trinamool Congress (TMC; 2010-Present)
|Political Journey||• She joined the Youth Congress as a member in 2008.
• She joined the All India Trinamool Congress in 2010.
• She won the 2016 West Bengal Assembly Elections from the Karimpur Constituency.
• She has also been the spokesperson and the General Secretary of the TMC.
• She was announced as the TMC candidate for the 2019 General Elections from the Krishnanagar Constituency of West Bengal.
• She won the elections and was elected as an MP on 24 May 2019.
• The TMC appointed her the party's national spokesperson in March 2023. NDTV
|Date of Birth||5 May 1975 (Monday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||47 Years|
|Birthplace||Kolkata, West Bengal|
|Hometown||Kolkata, West Bengal|
|School||She did her schooling from Kolkata|
|College/University||Mount Holyoke College, Massachusetts, United States|
|Educational Qualification||BA in Economics & Mathematics from Mount Holyoke College, Massachusetts, United States|
|Address||9A, Ratna Bali, 7A Judges Court Road, Kolkata, West Bengal|
|Controversies||• On 4 January 2017, Mahua Moitra filed a defamation case against Babul Supriyo when during a live TV debate he called her- Mahua drunk on Mahua (also the name of country alcohol in West Bengal). She accused him of defaming her on National TV.
• The Union Minister Babul Supriyo filed a defamation case against Mahua Moitra on 11 January 2017, stating that she wrongly accused him of having close links to the Rose Valley chit fund scam.
• On 3 August 2018, she reportedly assaulted a lady police officer at the Assam airport while she was about to board a flight for Kolkata. She was denied to board the flight and kept in overnight detention.
• In July 2022, she made some controversial remarks about Goddess Kali at the India Today Conclave East. In the conclave, Ms. Moitra pointed to a poster depicting “version of the Goddess” and said, “Kali to me is a meat eating... alcohol accepting Goddess. To me, that is Kaali." On 6 July 2022, the Trinamool Congress distanced itself from Mahua Moitra's remarks on Goddess Kali. In a statement on social media, the party said, “The comments made by @MahuaMoitra at the #IndiaTodayConclaveEast2022 and her views expressed on Goddess Kali have been made in her personal capacity and are NOT ENDORSED BY THE PARTY in ANY MANNER OR FORM. All-India Trinamool Congress strongly condemns such comments." The Hindu
• In August 2022, a video went viral on social media in which Moitra was purportedly hiding her ‘expensive’ Louis Vuitton bag as soon as TMC’s Kakoli Ghosh Dastidar raised the issue of price rise in the Lok Sabha. The video became the point of many discussions, mostly negative. Later, she shared a photo collage on Twitter with several pictures of herself with the caption “Jholewala fakir in Parliament since 2019. Jhola leke aye the jhola leke chal padenge." India Today
• On 7 February 2023, she attracted controversy for using cuss words while addressing the Lok Sabha during the Motion of Thanks on the President's Address. When TDP MP K Ram Mohan Naidu was speaking in the Lok Sabha, Moitra was seen hurling an abuse at BJP MP Ramesh Bidhuri. On 8 February 2023, while defending her cuss words, Moitra said she will call an apple an apple and not an orange. She said, "Whatever I said was not on record and all I can say is I will call an apple an apple and not an orange. I will call a spade a spade. If they take me to the privileges committee, I will put my side of the story." Hindustan Times
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||January 2002|
|Husband/Spouse||Lars Brorson (Scandinavian)|
|Parents||Father- Dwipendra Lal Moitra
Mother- Manju Moitra
|Car Collection||Mahindra Scorpio (2016 Model)|
|Assets/Properties||Cash: 5,000 INR
Bank Deposits: 1.05 Crores INR
Jewellery: 3.2 carat Diamond ring worth 70 Lacs INR, 150 gm Gold worth 5 Lacs INR, 3 kg Silver worth 1 Lac INR, Silver dinner set worth 1.65 Lacs INR, Art Pieces worth 25 Lacs INR
|Salary (as a Member of Parliament)||1 Lac INR + Other allowances|
|Net Worth (approx.)||2.64 Crores INR (as in 2019)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Mahua Moitra
- Mahua Moitra is an Indian politician. She is an MP from the Krishnanagar Constituency of West Bengal. She belongs to the All India Trinamool Congress (TMC).
- Mahua was the Vice President of JP Morgan, London before she started her career in politics.
- She was interested in politics since she was 18 years old.
- Moitra was motivated to quit her job at her 10-year college reunion when she saw that all her batchmates were successful bankers. That day she promised herself that at her college 20-year reunion, she won’t be coming back as “just another managing director”.
- She was Rahul Gandhi’s most trusted when she was in the Youth Congress of West Bengal. She used to head the Aam Admi ka Sipahi (AAKS) initiative and was very successful in it.
- She quit the Youth Congress when she realized that Congress always compromised with the Left; she did not like the Left ideology, so, she quit.
- Once in an interview, she was asked about her political career to which she replied-
I’m just about getting out of the cocoon now”
- Her main focus during her rallies has been education, employment, and youth empowerment. She often addresses college students and has a strong connection with the youth of her constituency.
- Mamata Banerjee announced Mahua Moitra’s name as the TMC candidate from the Krishnanagar Constituency for the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections on 12 March 2019.
- She won the 2019 Lok Sabha elections from the Krishnanagar Constituency and was elected as an MP.
- In her maiden speech in the Lok Sabha, in which she listed the “signs of early fascism,” was hailed as the “speech of the year” on social media.
- Here’s an interesting video about Mahua Moitra’s biography: