Age: 40 Years
|Nickname(s)||Velu and Gnana Velu|
|Profession(s)||Playback Singer, Actor, and Lyricist|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 6”
|Debut||Film (Singer): Madura Kulunga Kulunga” from ‘Subramaniapuram’ (2008)
TV (Contestant): Bigg Boss Tamil 4 (2020)
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• 2007: American University (Doctorate) Award
• 2009: Edison Award for Best Introduced Playback Singer– “Aadungada”
• 2010: Naattuppura Nayagan Award (by the then President Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam)
• 2011: Naattuppura Nayagan Award
• 2017: Marabu Isai Nayagan Award
• 2019: Edison Award for Best Introduced Playback Singer – “Kathari Poovazhagi”
• 2019: Kalaimamani Award
• 2019: World Guinness Record (Tamilkalai Oyilaattam)
• 2020: Periyar Awards
• 2020: Mirchi Awards – “Kathari Poovazhagi” (Asuran)
• 2020: T Awards – “Kathari Poovazhagi” (Asuran)
|Date of Birth||5 March 1980 (Wednesday)|
|Age (as of 2020)||40 Years|
|Birthplace||Viruthachalam, Tamil Nadu|
|Hometown||Viruthachalam, Tamil Nadu|
|School(s)||• Govt. Boys Hr. Sec. School, Mudhanai, Tamil Nadu (Till 10th Standard)
• Govt. Boys Hr. Sec. School, Virudachalam, Tamil Nadu (11th and 12th Standard)
• Jayapriya Vidyalaya Senior Secondary School, Virudhachalam, Tamil Nadu
|College/University||• Govt. Polytechnic College, Coimbatore
• University of Tamil Nadu
|Educational Qualification||D. E. E. Diploma in Music & DMT (Diploma in Music Teacher Training) Daily Hunt|
|Address||• Mudhanai village, Virudachalam Post & Taluk, Cuddalore District, Tamilnadu
• 48/21, Kutty Gramany street, Raja Annamalaipuram, Ch. 28
• 117-A, South street, Mudhani, Virudhachalam Taluk, Cuddalore District. Pin: 607804
|Relationships & More|
|Children||He has two daughters, one of his daughter's name is Pradakshana.
|Siblings||Brother- Periyasamy (Elder) Asianet News|
|Song(s)||Kallilae Kalai Vannam Kandaan from Kumudam (1969), Samarasam Ulaavum Idamae from Rambaiyin Kaadhal (1956)|
|Actor(s)||Kamal Haasan, Rajinikanth|
|Recording Studio(s)||Krishna Digit Sing, Kalasa, Prasad|
|Singer(s)||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, Shankar Mahadevan, Chithra, and S.Janaki|
|Lyricist(s)||Vaali, Yuga Barathi, Kabilan|
|Colour(s)||Red, Blue, Purple|
|Attire||Casual Pant and Shirt|
|Leader||Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Velmurugan
- Velmurugan is a popular Indian playback singer, actor, and lyricist.
- While he was in school and college, he used to participate in various singing competitions.
- He is well trained in playing various musical instruments like Miruthangam, Violin, and Tappu.
- He started his career as a reporter for a magazine, ‘Naveena Velanmai.’
- The turning point in his life came when the Indian music composer James Vasanthan called him for a song.
- He has sung various songs in Tamil films like “Aadungada Machaan” from ‘Naadodigal’ (2009), “Sangili Bungili” from ‘Muni 2: Kanchana’ (2011), “Aaravalli” from ‘Avargalum Ivargalum’ (2011), “Local Boys” from ‘Ethir Neechal’ (2013), “Atha Ponnu” from ‘Ivan Yarendru Therikiratha’ (2017), and “Sandalee” from ‘Semma’ (2019).
- His folk songs “Madura” in ‘Subramaniapuram’ (2008), “Aadungada” in ‘Naadodigal’ (20069), and “Otha Sollala” in ‘Aadukalam’ (2011) got immense popularity.
- He has judged a singing TV reality show, and he has also produced music albums such as ‘Solak Kollai,’ ‘Poonjsolai,’ ‘Karisak Kaadu,’ and ‘Themmaangu Paattukkaaran.’
- He participated in the popular TV reality show ‘Bigg Boss Tamil 4’ in 2020, hosted by the famous Indian actor Kamal Haasan.
- During a task in ‘Bigg Boss’ in 2020, he shared that he was born in a poor family and talked about his hardships. He further said that due to poor economic conditions, his father his father could not provide proper treatment to his ill mother due to which she died, and after two years of his mother’s death, his father also passed away. He used to sing in local functions to earn money.