|Yeduguri Sandinti Sharmila Reddy India Today The Hindu
|Being the sister of the seventeenth Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy, and the daughter of the fourteenth Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy
|Physical Stats & More
|in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 8”
|• Yuvajana Sramika Rythu Congress Party (2011-2024)
• Indian National Congress (2024)
|Date of Birth
|17 December 1973 (Monday)
|Age (as of 2022)
|Pulivendula, Kadapa, Andhra Pradesh
|Pulivendula, Kadapa, Andhra Pradesh
|Christianity India Today
|• Filed complaint for spreading rumours of her relationship with actor Prabhas
In July 2019, Sharmila registered a complaint with the Commissioner of Hyderabad CP Anjani Kumar against the social media IT cell of Chandrababu Naidu's Telugu Desam Party (TDP). She complained that Telugu Desam Party's IT cell is spreading a hoax of her having an illicit relationship with the Bahubali fame actor Prabhas. While talking with media correspondents about it, she said,
"They have spread rumours that I have an illicit relation with actor Prabhas just before the 2014 elections. I have denied it then itself, and they stopped it after the elections. Now the rumour mill is active again."
• Arrested for protesting against Telangana's first Chief Minister K Chandrashekar Rao and his party Bharat Rashtra Samithi (BRS)
On 28 November 2022, the Bharat Rashtra Samithi (BRS), formerly known as Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) party workers allegedly attacked Y. S. Sharmila’s convoy during her padayatra titled 'Praja Prasthanam' at Chennaraopet in Warangal district, who protested against her remarks made on the BRS party leader, Peddi Sudarshan Reddy. On 27 November 2022, Sharmila accused Peddi Sudarshan Reddy of extorting money from people by threatening them, illegally acquiring land, and intimidating contractors. The members of the YSR Telangana party alleged that a group of BRS workers attacked the caravan in which Sharmila was resting and smashed the glasses of cars belonging to YSR party members following which the permission granted for her padayatra was cancelled by the police. Sharmila, while addressing the reporters, expressed her resentment over the cancellation of her padayatra and said,
For the past 223 days, me and my party leaders and representatives are holding a peaceful padayatra to highlight the plight of various sections of people in Telangana. Our rising popularity has jolted Chief Minister KCR and his partymen, who want to stop me at any cost." The Times of India
On 29 November 2022, Y. S. Sharmila arrived at Punjagutta to proceed towards Telangana's Chief Minister, K Chandrashekar Rao’s residence along with her party leaders to protest against the attack on her convoy by the group of BRS workers and the eventual cancellation of permission for her padayatra. She was stopped by the police, but she locked herself in her car. When Sharmila refused to come out of her vehicle, the police had to tow her car using a crane while she sat inside and took her to SR Nagar police station, where she was detained along with six other party workers. A few hours later, she was released after her bail was granted. A case was registered against her at the Panjagutta police station under Indian Penal Code (IPC) section 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty), section 333 (voluntarily causing grievous hurt to deter public servant from his duty), and section 327 (voluntarily causing hurt to extort property, or to constrain to an illegal act).
• Manhandled policemen in Hyderabad
On 24 April 2023, the police arrested Y. S. Sharmila after she was caught on camera manhandling the police personnel following an altercation with them outside her residence in Hyderabad. Reportedly, she assaulted one sub-inspector, rammed her vehicle on a police constable that caused him a leg injury, and abused police officials while the police officials were trying to prevent her from proceeding with a “protest” for which she had not obtained permission. Rediff
|Relationships & More
|M. Anil Kumar
|M. Anil Kumar (evangelist)
|Son- Raja Reddy
|Father- Yeduguri Sandinti Rajasekhara Reddy
Mother- Yeduguri Sandinti Vijayamma (politician)
|Brother- Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
Some Lesser Known Facts About Y. S. Sharmila
- Y. S. Sharmila is an Indian politician and the daughter of the 14th Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, Y. S. Rajasekhara Reddy, who served in the post from 2004 to 2009. Her brother, Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy, was elected as the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh in 2019. Sharmila is the founder and president of the YSR Telangana Party, which came into existence on 8 July 2021.
- Sharmila’s second (and present) husband, Anil Kumar, was a Hindu Brahmin by birth. He changed his religion to Christianity after getting married to Sharmila. It was a love marriage. Both of them have been married twice. Anil is the founder of Anil World Evangelism and has been working as an evangelist since 1998. India Today
- Sharmila came to the centre of public attention for the first time in 2012 when she started campaigning for Yuvajana Sramika Rythu Congress Party (YRSCP) in the absence of her brother, Jaganmohan, who was in jail for a disproportionate assets case at that time. As a part of the election campaign, she went on a 3000 km tour across Andhra Pradesh, covering 14 districts and 116 Assembly constituencies by foot. The yatra that started on 18 Oct 2012 under the name Maro Praja Prasthanam (journey to the people) came to an end after 290 days on 4 August 2013.
- In 2019, she headed an 11-day bus tour in Andhra Pradesh to campaign for YRS in the 2019 Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly polls. The roadshow was named Praja Theerpu (people’s verdict) Bye Bye Babu (bidding goodbye to the then CM of Andhra Pradesh N. Chandrababu Naidu).
- On 20 October 2022, Y. S. Sharmila initiated a padayatra titled ‘Praja Prasthanam’ from the Chevella constituency in Telangana’s Ranga Reddy district. While addressing the media, Sharmila revealed that the purpose of the padayatra was to interact with the common people, hear out their problems, and provide them with a beneficial solution. Further, she said,
Chevella has been sentimentally attached to my father, that is why I have chosen this place to begin my padayatra, which will also end up in the same place. I am planning to walk for 12-15 km a day, and I hope to complete my walkathon in a year.” The Hindustan Times
- On 4 January 2024, Sharmila joined the Indian National Congress party and merged the YSR Telangana Party into the INC in the presence of Mallikarjun Kharge and Rahul Gandhi.