Age: 72 Years
Wife: Antonia Minnecola
Father: Alla Rakha
|Full Name||Zakir Hussain Qureshi|
|Profession||Indian Classical Musician (Tabla Maestro)
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet inches- 5’ 7”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 70 kg
in pounds- 154 lbs
|Popular Soundtrack(s)||1979: Apocalypse Now (1979)
1993: In Custody and Little Buddha
2001: The Mystic Masseur
2002: Mr. and Mrs. Iyer
2003: One Dollar Curry
|Award & Recognition(s)||1998: Padma Shri
2002: Padma Bhushan
1990: Indo-American Award and Sangeet Natak Akademi Award
1999: National Heritage Fellowship of National Endowment for the Arts from Hillary Clinton
2005: Old Dominion Fellow by the Humanities Council at Princeton University for being a full time Professor in the music department
2006: Kalidas Samman
2009: 51st Grammy Award
2023: Padma Vibhushan The Hindu
|Date of Birth||9 March 1951|
|Age (as of 2023)||72 Years|
|Birthplace||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Hometown||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Address||San Francisco, California, United States|
|School||St. Michael's High School, Mahim, Maharashtra, India|
|College/ University||St. Xavier's, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
University of Washington, U.S.A
|Family||Father- Alla Rakha (legendary tabla player)
Mother- Bavi Begum
Brothers- Taufiq Qureshi and Fazal Qureshi
Sister- Not Known
|Hobbies||Writing & Playing Instruments|
|Food||Maharashtrian cuisines, Punjabi Cuisines & Continental Cuisines|
|Actor(s)||Amitabh Bachchan, Shahrukh Khan, Rishi Kapoor|
|Actresses||Rekha, Vidya Balan, Sharmila Tagore|
|Singer(s)||Lata Mangeshkar, Pandit Jasraj, A.R. Rahman|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Marriage Date||Year 1978|
Daughters- Anisa Qureshi and Isabella Qureshi
|Salary (as an event performer)||6 lacs/show (INR)|
|Net Worth (Approx.)||5-6 Crores INR|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Zakir Hussain
- Zakir Hussain was a genius student since his childhood. His father, Ustad Alla Rakha, was a legendary Tabla Player and started teaching him Pakhawaj when he was three years old.
- He has performed with many legendary maestros of music such as Pandit Ravi Shankar, Ustad Vilayat Khan, Ustad Ali Akbar Khan, Pandit Hari Prasad Chaurasia, Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma, Pandit VG Jog, Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, Pandit Jasraj, and many more.
- In his early twenties, he attained the peak of his popularity and started visiting the United States frequently and he had performed more than 150 concerts per year
- His wife is also a professional Kathak dancer and a dance teacher. She had also been his manager for a long time.
- He had given a great contribution in raising the status of the Tabla players in the society, which earlier considered playing the Tabla as most contemptuous art.
- He has also collaborated with great artists such as Grateful Dead and Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane and once, with these artists, he played a jam session for four days while tripping on banned substances.
- He got associated with violinist L. Shankar, guitarist John McLaughlin, mridangam player Ramnad Raghavan, and legendary ghatam player Vikku Vinayakram and formed a fusion group named as ‘Shakti’, and on the 20th anniversary of this group, he introduced the world with the second version of the group named as ‘ Remember Shakti’, which accompanied artists like U. Srinivas, T.V. Selvaganesh, and Shankar Mahadevan.
- Mickey Hart of ‘Grateful Dead’, invited Zakir Hussain to create the special album called Global Planet Drum project, which featured legendary musicians from the different part of the world. This album released in 1991 on the Rykodisc label and went on to earn the 1992 Grammy Award for Best World Music Album, which is the first Grammy ever awarded in this category.
- He was also starred in several documentaries such as Zakir and His Friends, The Speaking Hand: Zakir Hussain, the Art of the Indian Drum and also co-starred in a film Heat and Dust.
- In 2016, Zakir Hussain was amongst few legendary musicians, who were invited by President Obama for the ‘All-Star Global Concert’ at the White House.
- He is a founding member of ‘World Music Supergroup’ and also a visiting professor at Stanford University in the department of music.
- Here is the video of the interview, in which Simi Garewal is unveiling the life pages of Zakir Hussain and his wife.