|Real name||Simrita Garewal|
|Profession(s)||Actor, film director & producer, TV host|
|Known For||Hosting TV talk show Rendezvous with Simi Garewal (1997)
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 6”
|Debut||Film (Hindi; As an actor): Raaz Ki Baat (1962) as Kamal
Film (Bengali; As an actor): Aranyer Din Ratri (1970) as Duli
Film (Hindi; As a driector): Rukhsat (1988)
|Awards||• 1966: Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress for the Hindi film Do Badan
• 1968: Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress for the Hindi film Saathi
• 1988: Pater’s Award in Australia for directing TV commercials
• 1999: Screen Awards for Best Talk Show & Best Anchor
• 2001: RAPA Award for Best Anchor & Talk show
• 2003: Indian Television Academy Award for Best Anchor
• 2003: Rotary Award for Vocational Excellence in Media & Television
• 2004: Indian Filmgoers Association Award Best Talk Show
• 2018: UKAFF Award for Contribution to Film and Television
• 2018: Dada Saheb Phalke Excellence Award
• 2022: Hall of Fame Award by Hindustan Times Most Stylish
|Date of Birth||17 October 1947 (Friday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||75 Years|
|Birthplace||Ludhiana, Punjab, India|
|Hometown||Ludhiana, Punjab, India|
|School||Newland High School, London, UK|
|Religion||Sikhism The Times of India|
|Caste||Jatt The Times of India|
|Food Habit||Vegetarian (turned)
|Address||Pavlova, 6th Floor Little Gibbs Road, Malabar Hill, Mumbai|
|Controversies||Received Criticism for Her Nude Scenes
In the 1970s, she appeared in Hindi films like ‘Siddhartha’ and ‘Mera Naam Joker’ in which he did a few semi-nude and erotic scenes. In that era, such scenes in Bollywood were a taboo, and she was criticised for doing such scenes. A few scenes of her in the films were even cut by the censor board in India. Later, her topless photo from one of her films was published in a leading magazine without her permission for which she sued the publishing house. Masala!
Tiff with Rani Mukerji
In 2011, while Simi was interviewing Rani Mukerji on the TV show ‘Rendezvous with Simi Garewal,’ Rani got very upset with Simi for asking her questions related to her relationship with the Indian producer Aditya Chopra. After the incident, the duo did not get along well for a very long time. The Times of India
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Boyfriends||• Shatrushalyasinhji Digvijaysinhji (Maharaja of Jamnagar) (1964-1967) Simi Garewal’s Official Website
• Ravi Mohan
• Ratan Tata (rumoured; businessman) Bollywood Shaadis
• Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi (cricketer) Koimoi
• Raj Kapoor (rumoured; actor & film producer) Masala!
• Salman Taseer (rumoured; Pakistani businessman) Masala!
• Rishi Kapoor (rumoured; actor) Masala!
|Husband/Spouse||Ravi Mohan (ex-husband)
|Parents||Father- Jalawar Singh Garewal (brigadier and 19th officer to be commissioned in the Indian Army)
Mother- Amrita Garewal
Sister- Amrita Garewal
|Other Relative(s)||Paternal Grandfather- Captain Kehar Singh Garewal (served as ADC to Queen Victoria)
Maternal Uncle(s)- 2
• Premindra Singh Bhagat (general in the Indian Army and the first Indian recipient of the Victoria Cross II World War)
• Bhupindar Singh (colonel in the Indian Army)
Cousin- Gaganjit Singh (major general in the Indian Army)
Maternal Cousin- Pamela Chopra (wife of the Indian filmmaker Yash Chopra)
|Actor(s)||Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan, Hrithik Roshan|
|Actress(es)||Deepika Padukone, Aishwarya Rai|
|TV Show||Suits (2011)|
|Singer(s)||Kishore Kumar, A.R. Rahman, Shreya Ghoshal, Michael Jackson|
|Music Band(s)||The Beatles, Metallica|
|Cuisine(s)||Thai, Italian, French|
|Fashion Brand(s)||Shahab, Armani, Anamika, Nike, Reebok|
|Holiday Destination||Las Vegas|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Simi Garewal
- Simi Garewal is an Indian film actor, TV host, film director & producer. She has hosted English talk shows like ‘Rendezvous with Simi Garewal’ (1997) and ‘Simi Selects India’s Most Desirable’ (2011).
- A few months after her birth, her family shifted from India to the UK.
- When she was 5 years old, she watched the Hindi film ‘Awaara.’ She then started developing an interest in acting. In her teens, she shared her desire to work as an actor with her parents, but her parents were against it. She then went on a hunger strike after which her parents agreed to it.
- Later, she started giving auditions at Twickenham Studios in England, but she was rejected for her Indian looks. Simi, along with her mother and sister, moved to India from England to try her luck in Bollywood. Initially, she was rejected from Hindi films for her western looks. Simi Garewal’s Official Website Masala!
- She then did an acting course at Filmalaya Acting School in Mumbai, Maharashtra. The Times of India
- In 1962, Simi appeared in Hindi films such as ‘Son of India’ and ‘Tarzan Goes to India.’
- Some of her other Hindi films are ‘Do Badan’ (1966), ‘Saathi’ (1968), ‘Mera Naam Joker’ (1970), ‘Kabhi Kabhie’ (1976), and ‘Karz’ (1980).
- Despite doing a lot of bold films in the 1970s, she wasn’t able to get the tag of being a ‘sex symbol’ in Bollywood, largely due to her offbeat films.
- In 1973, she appeared in the Bengali film ‘Padatik.’
- She started her film production company Siga Arts International in 1983. In the same year, she worked as a producer, director, and host in the Doordarshan TV series ‘It’s a Woman’s World.’
- Simi appeared in the 1987 documentary ‘Living Legend Raj Kapoor,’ based on the book by Charles Allen. She also worked as a writer for the documentary.
- In 1991, she directed and wrote three-part documentary series titled ‘India’s Rajiv’ (1991). The series was based on the Indian politician Rajiv Gandhi.
- Under her film production banner, she has also directed a few TV commercials.
- She worked in five seasons (140 episodes) of the popular English talk show ‘Rendezvous with Simi Garewal,’ which aired on Star World India.
- Though she married her long-time boyfriend Ravi Mohan, a businessman from the aristocratic family of Chunnamals of Delhi, it only lasted for 18 months, mainly because of a long-distance marriage. The couple initially started living apart but got divorced after a decade.
- In 2013, Simi Garewal shared that she did not have a child of her own, so she once decided to adopt a girl child. However, when she was about to complete the legal proceedings of adopting a girl child, the legal parents of the girl showed up. In an interview, while talking about it, she said,
I nearly adopted a girl once. I went to an orphanage and found this girl called Vijaya, who was abandoned at the railway station by her parents. According to the rules, they had to publish her photograph in the newspaper. And within three months, if no one claimed the child, I could bring her home. Till about two months, there was no news of her biological parents. But just when I was about to get her custody, the parents showed up. It was heartbreaking.”
- She said that at that time the Indian actor Dev Anand’s words “I never carry my sorrows with me. I just put them in my pocket and move on” helped her.
- She has a Mercedes-Benz E200 car.
- Simi is a dog lover and owns a pet dog named Chutki Garewal.
- During her leisure time, she loves to bake cakes, and play snooker & video games.
- Simi wears white clothes as she loves the colour and feels positive wearing them.
- She started her self-titled YouTube channel in 2012. She uploads interview videos on her channel and has around 510k subscribers on her channel as of January 2023.
- In 2023, Simi appeared as a guest host on the reality TV show ‘Bigg Boss.’
- In an interview, she shared that the Indian actor Raj Kapoor was her mentor.
- She once shared that she got botox done below her eyebrows. The Times of India In an interview, while talking about it, she said,
Tell me, what is the big deal about Botox? Girls half my age use it. Botox is only used here (places two fingers above her eyebrows) and nowhere else, it only stops you from getting ugly frown lines.”
- Simi Garewal has been featured on the cover of a few magazines like Filmfare and Star & Style magazine.