|Profession(s)||Celebrity Barber and Entrepreneur|
|Famous For||Being the hairdresser-in-chief of Ranveer Singh|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 175 cm
in meters- 1.75 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 9”
|Date of Birth||Year 1986|
|Age (as of 2022)||36 Years|
|School||St. Aloysius High School, Mumbai. Maharashtra|
|Educational Qualification||A Hair Styling Course from Pune Hindustan Times|
|Caste||Nai (Barber) Hindustan Times|
|Ethnicity||Marathi Hindustan Times|
|Food Habit||Non-Vegetarian Instagram-Darshan Yewalekar|
|Tattoo||A big tattoo of sword on his back
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Name Not Known
Mother- Anupama Yewalekar (works at a parlour)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Darshan Yewalekar
- Darshan Yewalekar is an Indian celebrity barber and founder of the ace barbershop ‘D Shave’ in Mumbai.
- He was born in a lower-middle-class family. Hindustan Times His parents could not afford to send him to a college in Pune. During an interview, while talking about it, he said,
My father came to me, sat down and said, Pune is unaffordable with my monthly salary of ₹5000. My parents were always very supportive of whatever I did and provided me with the best of things they could afford, even though it meant only two sets of new clothes each year. I had not seen any better and I was content with what I got. So, I knew if my dad said he can’t afford something, he really can’t.”
- After completing his schooling, he thought of pursuing graduation in Microbiology, but later he pursued a course in hair styling. He desired to get a plum job in a big city. However, due to a lack of finances, he postponed the idea and pursued a hairstyling course for the time being.
- In his childhood, he used to observe his mother while she used to give haircuts in a parlour. From there he developed an interest in working as a hairstylist. This observation helped him to learn the basics of the hairstyling course within 12 days. During his course, he had a fight with his teacher regarding hairstyling which grabbed the attention of the trainer of the hairstyling course, Jasbir Arora (well-known celebrity hairstylist).
- Jasbir was impressed by his work and asked Darshan to assist him. During the third month of his course, Jasbir sent Darshan to work at one of his newly-opened hair salons in Indore. In an interview, while sharing the incident, he said,
The salary was ₹3500! I was 16. I had just passed my 12th! But I got bored with that job and came back to Pune. There one day I got a call from one of my seniors who casually invited me to come and visit him in Mumbai where I had landed a job in a cool salon and was working on a Bollywood film shoot. The word ‘shoot’ piqued my interest. My connect with the world outside my town was through television and movies. And he said he was shooting with Sanjay Dutt. So I landed on the sets of Musafir.”
- In 2003, he started working as a hairstylist at Hakim’s Aalim, Versova, Mumbai, Maharashtra, and after working there for around 10 years, he started his own barbershop ‘D Shave’ in Mumbai. In an interview, while talking about his struggling days, he said,
I found a job as a sweeper and hair assistant on that same set, same day. One of the best days of my life. Worked my way up one cut at a time, travelled the world and worked with the shiniest stars of the film industry and then fell, down and hard. Failure turned me towards myself. Instilled pure passion and gave me the resilience I lacked. I trained harder, dreamt greater and built D Shave, my passion project to connect the art of barbering to its roots. This venture is driven by pure love for the craft. It’s as personal to me as your hair is to you. My senior introduced me to his boss, Aalim, who’d wanted to have a chat with me. So, I stayed back that night and the next day he took me on a movie set in Film City and casually made me meet a guy who looked a lot like Salman Khan. He called him Bhai. It was actually Salman Khan! Aalim introduced me to Bhai as his new assistant.”
- While he was working at Hakim’s, he got an offer to work with the hairstyling team of Salman Khan. After five years, he left the job to set up his own business. However, it did not go well. During an interview, while talking about the hardships he faced after leaving Salman Khan, he said,
After leaving Bhai I had gone through a real bad phase where nothing really worked out. I had started a salon that I had to shut down within a year. I was 22 then. I had no money, was living in a chawl and on most days I’d starve. But going back was not an option because I couldn’t go to him as a failure. During those four years, before I landed Ram-Leela, I had hit rock-bottom. I was a simple small-town Marathi guy, I was not fluent in English, and people even mocked my name.”
- Darshan has styled the looks for many Indian actors like Ranbir Kapoor, Ranveer Singh, Saif Ali Khan, and Anil Kapoor.
- He has been working as the personal stylist of Ranveer Singh for almost a decade and has created his looks in various films like ‘Goliyon Ki Raasleela Ram-Leela’ (2013), ‘Dil Dhadakne Do’ (2015), ‘Bajirao Mastani’ (2015), and ‘83’ (2021).
- He received huge appreciation from the industry veterans for replicating the look of the legendary Indian cricketer Kapil Dev in the Hindi film ’83 (which is played by Ranveer Singh). In an interview, while talking about it, he said,
The biggest compliment I have got from industry veterans is, ‘You have made it happen!’ The whole experience has been overwhelming, to say the least, especially because it is relatively easier to work from one’s imagination but to replicate something that is part of everyone’s imagination just adds that extra pressure.”
- During an interview, when he was asked to share his experience of creating the look for Ranveer Singh as Kapil Dev for the Hindi film ’83,’ he replied,
It was a once in a lifetime opportunity to be a part of such a mammoth and historic project. Kabir sir gave me a very straightforward brief during our first meeting — to replicate ‘the’ hair. We had to go through volumes of Kapil sir’s pictures to get every curl and wave right. We went through almost four to five look tests to achieve the precise ‘Kapil Dev look’. Then there was his classic moustache. I had to be very precise about how much to trim it, and that literally came down to slowly removing a single hair strand to make sure we got the look just right.”
- He has also worked as a professional hairstylist for a few TV reality shows
- Darshan has led a team for the Loreal Color trophy, a hairdressing competition.
- In an interview, he was asked how he managed his work during the coronavirus lockdown in 2020. He replied,
I am facing it hands-on in my salon. We have complete protective gear from the face mask to face shield to disposable gloves, capes, aprons, and feet wraps. It’s not easy to execute a finished job wearing all that. There is no film shoot on the floor and there is not substantial crossover for film technicians in TV and Ads.”
No one expected such unprecedented times. It was easy initially but I was in the loop with the situation and adapted quickly. I had been a workaholic all my life and especially the last eight years with Ranveer Singh were full of shoots and lots of shoots. So I had no break as such. This gave me time to ease up a little. It has healed my mind and body and let me reconnect with my loved ones. Like every single guy stuck alone, cooking was my new hobby and I never knew I could pull it off (of course with mom on video call guiding me throughout). “
- During an interview, he shared that the most well-groomed celebrities according to him were Ranveer Singh, Brad Pitt, George Clooney, and Gigi Hadid. He further added that Ranveer Singh, Hrithik Roshan, Deepika Padukone, and Shah Rukh Khan had the best hair in Bollywood.
- Darshan has appeared in an interview with CNN IBN news for a show named MINUS30 for being the young achiever despite being an outsider in Mumbai.
- He was invited as the guest speaker at TEDx-COEP in 2017.
- Darshan Yewalekar practices Yoga and visits the gym regularly.
- In his leisure time, he loves to go on trips on his motorcycle.
View this post on Instagram