|Real Name||Dharam Singh Deol|
|Nickname(s)||Dharam, Garam Dharam, He-Man of Bollywood|
|Profession(s)||Film Actor, Producer and Former Politician|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in feet inches- 5’ 8”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 75 kg
in pounds- 165 lbs
|Hair Colour||Black (Dyed)|
|Date of Birth||8 December 1935|
|Age (as in 2017)||82 Years|
|Birthplace||Village: Nasrali, Tehsil: Khanna, District: Ludhiana, State: Punjab, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Sagittarius|
|Hometown||Sahnewal, Ludhiana, Punjab, India|
|School||Government Senior Secondary School, Lalton Kalan, Ludhiana, Punjab|
|College/University||Intermediate R.G. (Ramgarhia) College Phagwara, Punjab|
|Educational Qualification||12th standard|
|Debut||Film Actor: Dil Bhi Tera Hum Bhi Tere (1960)
Film Producer: Betaab (1983)
Punjabi Film Actor: Kankan De Ohle (1970)
TV: India's Got Talent (as the Male Judge on Colors TV Channel, 2011)
|Political Inclination||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
|Address||Plot No. 22, 11th Road, Juhu, Mumbai, India
|Hobbies||Cycling, Travelling, Watching Films|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||1991: National Film Award for Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment for Ghayal (Producer) and Filmfare Award for Best Movie for Ghayal (Producer)
1997: Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award for his contribution to Indian Cinema
2007: IIFA Lifetime Achievement Award
2012: Padma Bhushan
|Controversies||• In 1980, when his first wife didn't give him a divorce, he converted to Islam to marry Hema Malini. It attracted several criticisms in media.
• During his election campaign in 2004, he was severely criticized for making an ironic statement that he should be elected 'Dictator Perpetuo' to teach "basic etiquette that democracy requires."
• He was also criticized in media for his negligible attendance in the Parliament as its member.
• On the occasion of Esha Deol's wedding in 2012, he erupted on media for being questioned about Sunny and Bobby Deol.Esha Deol Wedding
|Political Journey||He was elected to the Lok Sabha for the first time in 2004 from Bikaner constituency, Rajasthan, on BJP ticket.|
|Girls, Affairs, and More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Meena Kumari, Actress (1960s)
Hema Malini, Actress (Mid 1970-present)
|Marriage Date||Year- 1954 with Parkash Kaur
2 May 1980 with Hema Malini
|Wife/Spouse||Parkash Kaur (1954-Present)
Hema Malini (1980-present)
|Children||Sons- Sunny Deol (Ajay Singh Deol), Bobby Deol (Vijay Singh Deol)- Both from his first wife; Parkash Kaur
Daughters- Vijeeta Deol and Ajeeta Deol (from 1st wife),
Esha Deol and Ahana Deol (from 2nd wife)
|Parents||Father- Kewal Kishan Singh Deol (Government School Teacher)
Mother- Satwant Kaur
|Siblings||Brother- Ajit Singh Deol
|Favourite Director||Arjun Hingorani|
|Favourite Actor(s)||Guru Dutt, Dilip Kumar|
|Favourite Actresses||Suraiya, Nutan|
|Favourite Singer(s)||Lata Mangeshkar, Kishore Kumar|
|Favourite Film||Dillagi (1949)|
|Cars Collection||Range Rover, Mercedes Benz S-Class, and a Vintage Car
|Assets/Properties||Agricultural land worth more than ₹88 Lakh
Non Agricultural land worth more than ₹52 Lakh
Buildings in Mumbai worth more than ₹17 Crore
|Net Worth (approx.)||₹23 Crore (As in 2014)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Dharmendra
- When he was a child, he was very reluctant to go to school and often used to urge his mother not to send him to school.
- Due to his lack of interest in studies, he could study only up to 12th standard.
- From the very beginning, Dharmendra started inculcating an interest in movies and he often used to share his fascination with his mother.
- One day, on his mother’s suggestion, he sent an application to Filmfare’s new talent hunt with his portfolio. In fact, it was an advertisement by Bimal Roy and Guru Dutt for a film for which Dharmendra went to Malerkotla to get his portfolio done by Jaan Mohammed (John & Sons).
- Dharmendra won the Filmfare magazine’s ‘New Talent Hunt‘ award and visited Mumbai for the first time in search of work.
- In 1954, when he married his first wife, Parkash Kaur, he was just 19 years old.
- He appeared as a solo hero in Phool Aur Patthar (1966), which was also his first ‘Action Film.’ The film went on to become the highest-grossing film of 1966. Dharmendra also received his first Filmfare nomination for Best Actor.
- In the 1960s, his link-up with Meena Kumari were often making headlines. It was also speculated that she had helped Dharmendra to establish him among the A-listers of Bollywood of that time.
- For his performances as a romantic, comic as well as an action hero, Dharmendra earned the category of a versatile actor by 1975.
- His most successful pairing was with Hema Malini, who also went on to become his wife later.
- Dharmendra launched both of his sons in films: Sunny Deol in Betaab and Bobby Deol in Barsaat (1995). He also launched his nephew Abhay Deol in Socha Na Tha (2005).
- Dharmendra is a great fan of the singer and actor Suraiya. In an interview, he revealed to have watched her film ‘Dillagi’ (1949) more than 40 times, after walking several miles on foot to the nearest cinema hall in his hometown, Sahnewal. He also attended her funeral, when she died in 2004.
- It is said that during the shooting of ‘Sholay’ (1975), Dharmendra fell in love with Hema Malini and whenever there was an intimate shoot with Hema Malini, he used to bribe the light boys to disturb the lights to have as many retakes as possible.
- Hema Malini’s parents did not want Hema to marry Dharmendra; as he was already married. However, on the day of her marriage with actor Jeetendra, in Madras, Dharmendra entered the marriage hall and was pushed out of the hall by Hema’s father. Hema Malini refused to marry Jeetendra and later, married Dharmendra. HT
- During the shoot of Sholay, Amitabh Bachchan was like a newcomer to Dharmendra. However, he developed a great bonding with Amitabh and the pair went on to become a new definition of friendship in Bollywood.
- In the 1975’s film ‘Pratigya,’ when the choreographer of the song ‘Main Jat Yamla Pagla Deewana’ got fed up training the proper dance moves, Dharmendra decided to go on his own and danced with his natural-unique style.
- On an event, the veteran actor Dilip Kumar said that Dharmendra is the most handsome man he has ever seen. He said, “Bhagwaan Ne Badi Fursat Se Banaya Hoga Ise.”
📢⚡TRENDING: Watch the biography of REAL "Gully Boy" - Naezy⚡
References/Sources: [ + ]