Age: 60 Years
Wife: Asha Venugopal
Hometown: Payyanur, Kannur District, Kerala
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 178 cm
in meters- 1.78 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 10”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 75 kg
in pounds- 165 lbs
|Political Party||Indian National Congress (INC)|
|Political Journey||• He joined the Indian National Congress in late 1990s.
• He served as a Member of the Kerala Legislative Assembly from 1996 to 2009, representing the constituency of Alappuzha.
• He served as the Minister of State for Power from 20 January 2011 to 28 October 2012 under Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
• He held the position of Minister of State for Civil Aviation from 28 October 2012 to 26 May 2014 under Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
• He was a Member of Parliament in Lok Sabha, representing the constituency of Alappuzha, from 31 May 2009 to 23 May 2019.
• He was the General Secretary of the All India Congress Committee for Karnataka from 22 June 2018 to 11 September 2020.
• He became the the General Secretary (Organisation) of the All India Congress Committee in 2019.
• He became a Member of Parliament in Rajya Sabha on 19 June 2020 representing the constituency of Rajasthan.
|Date of Birth||4 February 1963 (Monday)|
|Age (as of 2023)||60 Years|
|Birthplace||Kandonthar, Payyanur in the Kannur District of Kerala, India|
|Hometown||Payyanur, Kannur District of Kerala, India|
|School||Name not known|
|College/University||• Payyannur College, Kannur district
• Calicut University, Calicut, Kerala
|Educational Qualification||He completed a Master's degree of Science in Mathematics at Calicut University, Calicut, Kerala in 1986. He also holds a LLB degree. Niyamasabha|
|Religion||Hindu Forward Press|
|Caste||Nair Forward Press|
|Food Habit||Non-vegetarian YouTube - Sansad TV|
|Address||Rajeevam, Pazhaveedu P.O., Alappuzha, District Kerala, Pin Code- 695004|
• Listening to music
|Controversies||Accused of sexually exploiting a women The Indian Express
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) interrogated him in 2022 in relation to the alleged sexual exploitation in the 2012 Solar scam case that took place in Kerala. In 2013, the main culprit, who had deceived individuals by making false promises about solar solutions and shares in solar energy projects, wrote a letter to the top police officer in Kerala. In the letter, she accused Hibi Eden (who was an MLA at the time and is now an MP), K.C. Venugopal, former Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, former minister A.P. Anil Kumar, Congress MP Adoor Prakash, and BJP leader A.P. Abdullah Kutty of sexually exploiting her. Initially, the case was reported to the local police; however, due to the accused's dissatisfaction with the local police investigation, the state government recommended the transfer of the case to the CBI, and in August 2021, the CBI took over the investigation.
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Asha Venugopal (Assistant Professor and Head of the English Department at VTM NSS College, Dhanuvachapuram, Thiruvananthapuram)
|Children||Son- Gokul Venugopal
Daughter- Parvati Venugopal
|Parents||Father- Kunji Krishnan Nambi
Mother- Janaki Amma
|Siblings||He has one sister.|
|Car Collection||• Toyota Innova
• Toyota Etios
|Income (approx.)||Rs 9 lakhs
Note: His income is for the financial year 2018-19. MyNeta
Cash: Rs. 20,000
Bank Deposits: Rs. 3,94,541
Motor Vehicles: Rs. 18,08,140
Jewellery: Rs. 32,320
Non-Agricultural Land: Rs. 32,00,000
Residential Buildings: Rs. 3,00,000
Note: The given estimates of movable and immovable assets are according to the year 2019. It excludes the assets owned by his wife and dependents (minor). MyNeta
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 2.7 crores
Note: This net worth is for the financial year 2018-19. MyNeta It excludes the net worth of his wife and dependents (minors).
Some Lesser Known Facts About K. C. Venugopal
- K. C. Venugopal, a member of the Indian National Congress party, is an Indian politician. He represented the state of Rajasthan as a Member of Parliament in the Rajya Sabha. Prior to this, he served as a Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) in the Kerala Legislative Assembly and as a Member of Parliament in the Lower House (Lok Sabha). Throughout his political career, he has held various ministerial positions in both the Kerala state government and the Indian UPA government.
- During his college days, he played volleyball and represented Payyanur College and Calicut University in University-level matches.
- His political journey began when he got involved in the Student Movement of the Indian National Congress. He held several positions within the Kerala Students Union (KSU), starting as a Unit President. Later on, he took on roles such as Thaliparamba Taluk Treasurer, Kannur District Secretary, State Vice President, and State Treasurer.
- Venugopal became the State President of KSU in 1988 and held the position for five years. He served as a University Union Councillor for four years, and later, he became a Kerala University Senate Member. From 1993 to 2000, he was the Youth Congress State President.
- In 1991, he became famous when his mentor K. Karunakaran, who was the Chief Minister of Kerala, helped him get a Lok Sabha ticket from Kasaragod. Venugopal, who was 28 years old and serving as the president of the party’s student wing, lost the election by a small margin.
- In 1995, he had a public disagreement with Karunakaran over the suspension of Arjun Singh from their political party. While Karunakaran and others in their party held differing views, Venugopal openly supported Singh, causing a rift between him and Karunakaran.
- In March 1995, when A.K. Antony took over as Chief Minister, Venugopal had already distanced himself and aligned with a group of young leaders called the “third group.” Led by Ramesh Chennithala, G. Karthikeyan, and M.I. Shanavas, they identified as reformists or correctionists (“Thiruthalvaadi” in Malayalam). Their objective was to challenge the authority and dominance of both Karunakaran and Antony within the party.
- He won his first election to the Kerala Legislative Assembly in 1996 and went on to retain his seat in the following elections in 2001 and 2006. He also served as a minister in the government led by Oommen Chandy in 2004.
- In 2009, he became an MP in the Lok Sabha. By 2011, he had been appointed as a Union Minister of State. This appointment was significant as it aimed to garner support from the Nair community to which Venugopal belonged.
- Between 2009 and 2014, during the second term of the UPA (United Progressive Alliance) Government, he held important positions as the Minister of State for Civil Aviation and the Ministry of Power.
- Despite the Congress party’s overall poor performance in the 2014 elections, he emerged as one of the successful MPs from Kerala who secured their seats. As a result, he was entrusted with the role of the party’s whip.
- He took on the role of General Secretary of the All India Congress Committee (AICC) on 29 April 2017. He convinced Rahul Gandhi to run for the 2019 elections from Wayanad in Kerala. Despite losing in Amethi, Rahul emerged as the winner in Kerala, showcasing Venugopal’s understanding of the political landscape in Uttar Pradesh.
- He showcased his exceptional leadership skills by effectively managing the Congress War Rooms during several elections. His notable achievements include being elected as a Member of Parliament in the Rajya Sabha from Rajasthan on 19 June 2020. Moreover, his dynamic leadership led to a remarkable victory for the Congress party in the 2023 Karnataka state elections, securing a substantial majority of 135 seats out of 224.
- In an interview, he said Rahul Gandhi is the most handsome MP (Member of Parliament), Hema Malini is the prettiest actress, Arun Jaitley speaks well, and Venkaiah Naidu gets angry easily. YouTube – Sansad TV
- His father’s preference was for him to be an engineer or government employee, while his mother supported his aspiration to become a politician.
- He enjoys singing and watching films with his wife during breaks from political campaigns.