|Real Name||Dev Varma|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 161 cm
in meters- 1.61 m
in feet inches- 5’ 3”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 70 kg
in pounds- 155 lbs
|Figure Measurements (approx.)||36-30-38|
|Hair Colour||Medium Golden Brown|
|Political Party||All India Trinamool Congress (TMC)
|Political Journey||• She joined the All India Trinamool Congress (TMC) in March 2014
• Her name was announced as the TMC Lok Sabha candidate for the Bankura seat on 4 March 2014 by the West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee
• She won the Bankura Seat in the 2014 General Elections
• On 1 September 2014, she was appointed as a member of the Standing Committee on Industry, the Consultive Committee, and the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting
• She contested the 2019 General Elections from the Asansol Constituency against the Union Minister of State for Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises Babul Supriyo
• She lost to Babul Supriyo in the 2019 General Elections from Asansol
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Nandi Award for the Best Supporting Actress in 1987 for the Telugu film Sirivennela
• The Kalakar Award for the Best Actress in a Television Role in 1994
• The Bharata Nirman Award for Films & TV in 1998
• The Kalakar Award for the Best Actress in a Film in 2000
• The Kalakendra Screen Award
|Date of Birth||28 March 1954|
|Age (as of 2023)||69 Years|
|Birthplace||24 Parganas, Kolkata|
|School||• Loreto Convent, Shillong
• Loreto House, Kolkata
|College/University||• Somerville College, Oxford, England
• Jadavpur University, Kolkata
|Educational Qualification||• Graduate
• Masters in Comparative Literature
|Address||Flat No. 3-C, Vedanta Apartmant, Ballygunge, Kolkata|
• Collecting Antiques
|Controversies||• In 1984, when she made her Bollywood debut with the film Andar Bahaar, a lot of controversies surrounded her; as she played a very bold and daring character in the film.
• In 2014. when she was visiting Bankura for a rally, the roads of Bankura were washed; so that Moon Moon Sen and her daughters don't have any difficulties because of the dust. She was heavily criticized for this as at that time, Bankura had a serious water shortage and people did not have water to drink.
• In 2015, she praised Prime Minister Narendra Modi saying that he has made India's image better in front of the world. She also criticized him, stating that as he travelled so much, he has completely forgotten and ignored the issues through which the people are suffering in India.
• In April 2019, when a reporter asked for her views about the violence that took place in Asansol polling booths, she replied: She got her bed tea late and as she woke up late, she was not aware of the incident. She got trolled by a lot of people on social media for this statement.
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs||• Rumoured Affair With Saif Ali Khan in 1990
• Victor Banerjee (1998)
|Marriage Date||24 February 1978|
|Husband/Spouse||Bharat Dev Verma (Businessman)
• Raima Sen
• Riya Sen
|Parents||Father- Dibanath Sen (Businessman)
Mother- Suchitra Sen (Actress)
|Favourite Food||Steamed Rice With Ghee|
|Favourite Actor (s)||Mithun, Paresh Rawal|
|Favourite Actress||Laboni Sarkar|
|Assets/Properties||Movable: Rs. 4.71 Crores
Cash: Rs. 3.15 Lacs
Bank Deposits: Rs. 2.07 Crores
Bonds, Debentures & Shares: Rs. 1.86 Crores
Jewellery: 1352 gm of Gold worth Rs. 42 Lacs and a 70 cent Diamond worth Rs. 4.6 Lacs
Immovable: Rs. 4.94 Crores
3 Residential Apartments in Ballygunge, Kolkata worth Rs. 4.94 Crores
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 10.15 Crores (As in 2019)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Moon Moon Sen
- She used to be a teacher in the Ballygunge Girls’ School and later joined the Chitrabani School, where she used to teach Graphics. She had also worked in the All India Radio and also as a teacher in the Ballygunge Government High School in Kolkata before entering the film industry.
- Before her Bollywood debut, she was a successful actress in the Bengali Film Industry. She had also worked in a lot of Kannada, Marathi, Malayalam, and Telegu films.
- She was very active in doing social work. Before she got married, she had once expressed her wish to adopt a child.
- She started out in the film industry only after her marriage and motherhood. She made her Hindi film debut in the Bollywood Film Andar Bahaar in 1984 with co-actors Anil Kapoor and Jackie Shroff.
- She was always in the news for her films as she used to do very bold roles. Although, even after appearing in many films with famous actors, she did not have much success in Bollywood.
- She has acted in more than 60 films and 40 television serials.
- She is married to Bharat Dev Verma; a descendant of the Royal Family of Tripura. They have two daughters; Raima Sen and Riya Sen.
- Her husband, Bharat, encouraged her to get into politics.
- Moon Moon Sen’s name was announced by Mamata Banerjee as the TMC candidate for the 2014 General elections on 4 March 2014 from the Bankura Constituency. This came as a surprise to her as she did not know that she was about to be nominated. One of Moon Moon Sen’s friend called her up and informed her about the announcement.
- She was known as ‘Suchitra Sen er meye’ (Suchitra Sen’s daughter) in the interior parts of Bankura. Reportedly, her calm nature and polite words won the hearts of the people of Bankura, which eventually led to her victory as they had formed a connection with her.
- Moon Moon Sen is also an interior designer and a consultant.
- She is often seen accompanied by her daughters Raima and Riya in many of her rallies and Constituency visits.
- She won the 2014 Lok Sabha elections from the Bankura Constituency by defeating the 9-time CPI (M) MP Basudeb Acharia. It was a major victory for Moon Moon Sen and the TMC.
- Once, when asked about the increasing glamour in politics, she replied-
I don’t know why people are going about the ‘glamour’ factor. It shouldn’t be an unknown factor in politics because we have an Italian who is like a PM and the former actress Jayalalithaa as CM with quite a personality and a unique wardrobe”
- For the 2019 General Elections, Bankura Constituency was given to Subrata Mukherjee. She was asked to contest from the Asansol Constituency against the Union Minister Babul Supriyo.
- When Moon Moon Sen’s name was announced as the Lok Sabha candidate for the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections, Babul Supriyo tweeted-
Mamtaji always presents me with SEN-sational opponents in Asansol Elections… Dola SEN in 2014 and Moonmoon SEN in 2019 !
— Babul Supriyo (@SuPriyoBabul) March 12, 2019