Age: 50 Years
Wife: Parnit Sarkaria Kang
Hometown: Patiala, Punjab
|Full name||Harsmeep Singh Gurcharan Singh Kang Startupwala Private Limited|
|Famous for||Directing Carry on Jatta film series
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 183 cm
in meters- 1.83 m
in feet & inches- 6’
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 90 kg
in pounds- 198 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Debut||Punjabi Film as Actor: Mahaul Theek Hai (1999) as Vicky
Hindi Film as Actor: Kaafila (2007) as Makhan Singh
Punjabi Film as Producer & Director: Meri Vahuti Da Viyah (2007)
Hindi Film as Director: Second Hand Husband (2015)
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Critics Award for Best Director at the 3rd PTC Punjabi Film Awards in 2013
• Best Director and Best Film awards for Carry On Jatta 2 at PTC Film Awards in 2019
|Date of Birth||30 January 1973 (Tuesday)|
|Age (as of 2023)||50 Years|
|Birthplace||Patiala, Punjab, India|
|School||Yadavindra Public School, Patiala|
|College/University||Punjab University, Chandigarh|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor's degree in Technology in Chemical Engineering Indian Kanoon IJSR|
|Address||304/1-D, Oshiwara Link View CHS, Patliputra Nagar, Jogeshwari West, Mumbai, Maharashtra- 400102|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||Year: 2001|
|Wife/Spouse||Parnit Sarkaria Kang
|Children||Son- Kairavbir Kang
|Parents||Father- Gurcharan Singh Kang
Mother- Name not known
|Punjabi Actor||Gippy Grewal|
|Film||Chann Pardesi (1981)|
|Car Collection||Maruti Suzuki Dzire
Some Lesser Known Facts About Smeep Kang
- Smeep Kang is an Indian actor, director, producer, and story writer who has gained immense popularity for his contributions to the comedy genre, with several of his films becoming top-grossing hits in Pollywood. He has worked in several films in Pollywood and Bollywood.
- During his youth, he participated in cricket competitions and represented the Punjab Under-16 team in the 1991 Vijay Merchant Trophy. His team later emerged victorious in the National Championship held in Cuttack, Odisha.
- While pursuing his college education, he began his foray into the world of films; however, after completing his studies, he relocated to Mumbai in the late 1990s and early 2000s and took up a marketing job to ensure financial stability. He continued to pursue opportunities in the film and television industry. As he started earning more from his acting endeavours, he eventually transitioned into a full-time actor.
- During his college days, he went to an audition primarily to meet Jaspal Bhatti; however, his looks caught the attention of manager Kuldeep Sharma, who requested his photograph. Smeep handed over a passport-size photograph, which led to his selection for his debut film Mahaul Theek Hai. He subsequently worked on the project from 1996 to 1998 while pursuing his college studies.
- During the early 2000s, he acted in numerous Punjabi television shows, such as ‘Lori,’ ‘Kaun Dillan Diyan Jaane,’ ‘Nasihat,’ and ‘Sarhad.’
- He later acted in various films. in various films. He played the role of Pal Jindal in the 2006 film ‘Ek Jind Ek Jaan,’ Smeep in the 2008 film ‘Chak de Phatte,’ and Mr Bhullar in the 2018 film ‘Carry On Jatta 2.’ In 2019, he appeared as Jeet in the film ‘Band Vaaje’ and as Producer in the film ‘Naukar Vahuti Da.’
- In 2008, he acted as himself in the 2008 film ’26th July at Barista.’
- He made his debut as a writer in the 2008 Punjabi film ‘Chak de Phatte.’
- During the years 2009 to 2010, he experienced a period of depression due to the failure of his projects.
- Smeep Kang’s directorial career took off in 2012 with the release of the film ‘Carry On Jatta,’ which emerged as the highest-grossing Punjabi film of that year. He continued his work as a director with the 2013 film ‘Lucky Di Unlucky Story,’ the 2016 film ‘Vaisakhi List,’ the 2018 film ‘Laavan Phere,’ and the sequels ‘Carry on Jatta 2’ and ‘Carry on Jatta 3.’
- His directorial debut Bollywood film ‘Second Hand Husband’ was the debut film of Tina Ahuja, the daughter of renowned Indian actor Govinda and the Bollywood debut of popular Punjabi actor-singer Gippy Grewal.
- He further directed the film ‘Jhootha Kahin Ka’ in 2019, which starred acclaimed actors Rishi Kapoor and Jimmy Sheirgill in the lead roles.
- According to popular Punjabi singer-actor Gippy Grewal, Smeep Kang’s first major hit film, ‘Carry On Jatta,’ had an interesting start. Grewal shared that he initially went to watch Kang’s film ‘Chak De Phatte,’ but the theatre was empty. He convinced his friends to at least watch the first 10 minutes, and they ended up enjoying the entire film. Grewal tried to contact Kang but found out that he had changed his number; however, he eventually managed to get in touch with Kang and collaborated with him on “Carry On Jatta,” which later became the highest-grossing Punjabi film of that year.
- During the COVID-19 lockdown, he began exercising to lose weight and stay fit.
- On 13th August 1993, he took legal action against Punjab University’s decision to deny him admission to study Chemical Engineering. Kang had applied through the sports quota, scoring 53.5 marks in the Common Entrance Exam. He successfully cleared the interview; however, during the trial, the Sports Director skipped his trial and rejected his application directly. Kang filed a case against this decision, and the Court ruled in his favour, ordering the University to grant him admission. Indian Kanoon This case is often referenced as an illustrative example in the third chapter of the law course on “Education and Rights of Students” at the University of North Bengal, Siliguri, West Bengal. NBU
- According to noted Punjabi comedian Gurpreet Ghuggi, Kang has an immense passion for his work. When Kang wrote the script for the film Carry On Jatta, actor Gippy Grewal expressed interest in purchasing the script; however, Ghuggi advised Kang against selling the script and instead encouraged him to direct the film himself. Ghuggi also convinced Grewal to act in the film rather than acquiring the script for another director.
- During the trailer launch of the film Carry on Jatta 3, he shared an interesting anecdote from his past. He disclosed that during a period when his career was not flourishing, he decided to open a vada pav shop named Choti Bites near Jogeshwari station in Mumbai. This revelation impressed popular Indian actor Aamir Khan, who was present at the event, and he commended Kang for his determination and commitment to his craft.
- He has gained a significant following on social media platforms for his photo posts accompanied by witty captions.
- The unique directorial style and humorous storytelling approach of Smeep Kang have been the subject of research and analysis in doctoral theses. IJSR
- The film Carry On Jatta, directed by him, has been remade in various languages including Odia, Telugu, Bangladeshi, and Bengali.
- He made an appearance on an episode of The Kapil Sharma Show in June 2023 to promote his film Carry on Jatta 3.