Some Lesser Known Facts About Sreenivasan Jain
- Sreenivasan Jain is an Indian journalist who is known for anchoring the weekly ground reportage show ‘Truth vs Hype’ on NDTV 24×7.
- Jain started working at NDTV in 1995. From 2003 to 2008, he was NDTV’s Mumbai bureau chief.
- In 2010, he was assigned the duties of Managing Editor of the business channel from the NDTV Group.
- In 2015, he became the Op-ed columnist for the Business Standard newspaper.
- In 2017, Jain took to Facebook and talked about NDTV removing a report by him and Manas Pratap Singh on loans given to Jay Shah’s company during BJP’s rule. In the post, he wrote,
A week ago, a report by Manas Pratap Singh and me on loans given to Jay Shah’s companies was taken down from NDTV’s website. NDTV’s lawyers said it needed to be removed for “legal vetting”. It has still not been restored. This is deeply unfortunate, since the report is based entirely on facts in the public domain and makes no unsubstantiated or unwarranted assertions. A situation like this presents journalists with hard choices. For now, I am treating this is as a distressing aberration and have decided to continue to do the journalism that I have always done – on NDTV. All of this has been conveyed to NDTV.”
- In 2018, he sent a legal notice to columnist Rajiv Mantri who commented on Jani’s father LC Jain. In a tweeter post, Mantri talked about the notice and said,
I am shocked that a well-connected and powerful journalist like Sreenivasan Jain is threatening me, a common citizen, with legal consequences for expressing an opinion. I see this as an attempt to stifle my voice and silence me.”
- In 2020, stones were pelted on Jain when he was reporting about the Delhi CAA riots. In a video clip, Deepak Chaurasia shared on Twitter, Jain said,
Already, some stones have starting to come so we are not going to film anymore. We will turn the camera to the other side, will we turn the camera and walk towards the other side, we are not going to get the crowd agitated.”
प्रिय दोस्त! @SreenivasanJain !#ShaheenBagh पिटाई के वक्त आपने लिखा था मैं तो पत्रकार हूँ नहीं!लेकिन आप तो हैं!फिर CAA के ख़िलाफ़ प्रदर्शन कर रहे इन शांतिदूतों ने आप पर पत्थर क्यों बरसाएँ? हाँ अगर आप उनसे कहते कि आप रविश कुमार के चैनल से हैं तो आपका ये हाल नहीं होता !#DelhiBurns pic.twitter.com/82kmA3TH2X
— Deepak Chaurasia (@DChaurasia2312) February 26, 2020
- In 2020, in an interview, businessman Rakesh Jhunjhunwala said that NDTV was blaming BJP without reason. In the interview, he said,
I am a fan of Mr. Modi – This is a well-known fact. As an Indian, I have a right to my political choices… But, I find you prejudiced. I find NDTV prejudiced against the government.”
- In 2021, he made a tweet claiming that Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin was substandard. After his tweet, people started criticizing him and said that his tweets were misleading. Later, he apologized for the tweets and said,
I did clarify that in subsequent Tweets but the initial Tweet could have been worded much better. I am deleting the original Tweet. For any confusion caused as a result, apologies.”
- In 2022, he lent Rs. 50,000 for the bail of Alt News co-founder Mohammed Zubair.
- In February 2022, while he was reporting from UP during the state assembly elections, a girl in Uttar Pradesh, insulted Jian by telling him that she would vote for BJP, and she also schooled him about getting jobs in Uttar Pradesh. Later, NDTV deleted this video from its Twitter handle.
- In an interview, he said that the funniest thing that happened to him was when he was once asked to give a byte in Tamil during the war in Sri Lanka in 1999.