Some Lesser Known Facts About Vikram Phadnis
- Vikram Phadnis is an Indian fashion designer and film director who is majorly known for designing traditional Indian dresses.
- Vikram’s parents were doctors, and they wanted him to become a doctor, but his interest in dance and entertainment during college led him to choose a different career.
- He started his career as a choreographer and later switched to fashion designing. In one of the fashion shows, he worked as a designer, and this inspired him to take up designing professionally. His first collection was presented in 1991.
- In 2005, he showcased his collection with international cricket players that include Jonty Rhodes, Glenn McGrath and Wasim Akram.
- In 2009, he designed clothes for model Naomi Campbell who participated in a show named ‘Mai Mumbai’ that was held to collect money for the help of the people affected during the 2008 Mumbai 26/11 terrorist attack.
- He has also dressed the president of The Republic of South Africa, Mr Jacob Zuma, and the First Lady in 2015.
- According to Vikram, Salman Khan was his godfather who helped him during the start of his career. In an interview, he talked about Salman Khan and said,
He is comfortable in whatever he wears, he can carry off a suit with the same style and grace that he can pull off casual wear. Whatever he wears becomes ‘fashion’ automatically.”
- Vikram has designed clothes for big celebrities like Amitabh Bachchan, Sridevi, Sushmita Sen, Malaika Arora. In an interview, he talked about how he felt when he dressed megastar, Amitabh Bachchan. He said,
I think the only time I got nervous was when I dressed up Mr Bachchan. That is the moment it sunk for me that I’m truly blessed and that I was doing something right. I don’t think there is another person like him in the industry. Just working with him was so special.”
- He has designed costumes for various Bollywood movies like Biwi No.1 (1999), Mujhse Shaadi Karogi (2004), Golmaal: Fun Unlimited (2006), Salaam-e-Ishq (2007), Namastey London (2007), Golmaal Returns (2008), and Dulha Mil Gaya (2010). He designed 800 costumes for the actors and supporting actors in the movie ‘Salaam-e-Ishq.’
- After working as a fashion designer, he gained interest in film direction, and he directed two Marathi films Hrudayantar (2017) that featured Hrithik Roshan, and Smile Please (2019). In an interview, he talked about his film direction and said,
It (directing) wasn’t a deliberate attempt. I have wanted to direct a film for the last 12-13 years. It took me a long time to write the subject. Directing a film is like being a captain of the ship. I’ve been a technician behind the camera where I have been involved in the costume department. But telling a story is the ultimate thing. I won’t do remakes as I want to develop my own scripts. But I don’t think I can do horror or sex or comedy as a genre. All I can do is a romance or a social drama, the two genres that I know I am comfortable with. Also, when I write my second film, I am not going to decide the language — but if not now, then eventually, I will make a Hindi film. That is something that I know for sure.”
- Before directing Marathi films, he worked on a Hindi film that was not released. The name of the film was ‘Nia,’ and it starred Bipasha Basu. In an interview, he talked about why the film was not released. He said,
The production cost was high. I wanted to shoot in London, but the budget wouldn’t allow me to do it. I also realised that it was the wrong time to put out that kind of story. But I didn’t let the limitations affect me. I’ve been wanting to make a film for 13 years.”
- In an interview, he revealed that the film ‘Smile Please’ was based on the life of his mother.
- In 2016, Vikram completed 25 years in the fashion industry. To mark his journey, he organized the show ‘Adhvan.’ In an interview, he gave advice to young designers based on his experience and said,
According to me, there is no formula to success one can follow. The reason being, if a+b=c, then everybody could follow it to the T and become successful. I have learnt that success eventually follows, all you need is to have passion for what you do. Be hardworking and know how to market yourself and be at the right place at the right time.”
- In 2018, e-commerce fashion Myntra had collaborated with Vikram for a fashion show at the IIFA awards.
- In 2021, during the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, he had tested positive for COVID-19. He told his fans about it through an Instagram story, he wrote,
I’ve tested positive for COVID and would request those who came in contact with me to get themselves tested at the earliest. I am taking every precaution and have isolated myself at home.”
- He is often spotted drinking alcohol at various fashion events.
- In 2020, when Prime Minister Narendra Modi had announced lockdown in the country, Vikram came forward and raised funds for an NGO that helped stray dogs. Actor Ayushmann Khurrana also tweeted about this.
— Ayushmann Khurrana (@ayushmannk) March 28, 2020