Age: 47 Years
Wife: Andrea Hewitt (Fashion Model)
|Full Name||Vinod Ganpat Kambli|
|Profession(s)||Former Cricketer, Actor|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet inches- 5’ 7”
|International Debut||Test- 29 January 1992 vs England in Kolkata
ODI- 18 October 1991 vs Pakistan in Sharjah
|Bowling Style||Right arm off break|
|Favourite Shot||Cover Drive|
|Records (main ones)||• When he was 17 years old, and Sachin Tendulkar was 16, they made a world-record of a massive 664-runs partnership in a school match.
• He held a record of the highest Test average (54.2) by an Indian (20 innings or more), even more than Sachin Tendulkar, Sunil Gavaskar, Rahul Dravid, and Virender Sehwag.
• In his early International cricket days, he made a record of being the fastest Indian to score 1000 Test runs.
• He was among the very few batsmen to score an ODI century on his birthday, in a match against England in 1993.
|Date of Birth||18 January 1972 (Tuesday)|
|Age (as in 2019)||47 Years|
|Birthplace||Bombay (Now, Mumbai), Maharashtra, India|
|School(s)||• Our Lady of Dolours, Marine Lines, Mumbai
• Shardashram Vidyamandir, Dadar, Mumbai
|College/University||Did Not Attend|
|Educational Qualifications||10th Standard|
|Political Inclination||Lok Bharati Party TOI|
|Address||Room no. 8, Kesari Niwas, Gilbert Colony, Indira Gandhi Nagar, Kanjur Marg (E), Mumbai-400042|
|Hobbies||Listening to Music, Watching Movies|
|Controversies||• In 2009, he appeared on a reality show called 'Sach Ka Saamna' in which he said that Sachin Tendulkar could have helped him in his difficult time. He also said that he was hurt when Sachin did not mention him in his retirement speech at the end of his 200th Test and did not invite him to the party he hosted following his retirement. DNA India
• In 2015, his maid, Soni Sarsal accused him and his wife of torturing her. She also filed an FIR against Kambli and his wife. According to Soni Sarsal, Kambli and his wife, Andrea had not allowed her to return home and wrongfully confined her for three days when she asked them for the wages." The Hindu
• In July 2018, Vinod Kambli and his wife, Andrea Hewitt assaulted Raj Kumar Tiwari, the father of singer, Ankit Tiwari, in a mall in Mumbai. Hindustan Times
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||Year- 1998 (With the First Wife)
Year- 2014 (With the Second Wife)
|Wife/Spouse||First Wife- Noella Lewis (Receptionist)
Second Wife- Andrea Hewitt (Fashion Model)
|Children||Son- Jesus Christiano Kambli
|Parents||Father- Ganpat Kambli (Mechanic)
Mother- Vijaya Kambli
|Siblings||Brothers- Virendra Kambli, Vidyadhar Kambli, Vikas Kambli
Sister- Vidya Kambli
|Favourite Cricketer(s)||Batsmen: Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli
Bowler: Wasim Akram
|Favourite Food(s)||Mutton Biryani, Tandoori Chicken, Fried Fish|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Vinod Kambli
- Kambli was born and brought up in a Chawl in Mumbai, where he used to live with his joint family of 18 members.
- He had a difficult childhood as far as money is concerned, and once, he stole something to buy a cricket bat.
- In his childhood, he used to travel with his kit in the crowded local trains from Kanjurmarg to Shivaji Park for practice.
- Kambli is a childhood friend of Sachin Tendulkar. They used to practice at Shivaji Park together under the guidance of their coach, Ramakant Achrekar.
- Earlier, Kambli used to study at Our Lady of Dolours in Marine Lines, Mumbai and Sachin Tendulkar studied at IES King George in Bandra and Ricky Couto (a classmate of Sachin and Kambli) used to go to St Joseph’s Wadala. On the suggestion of their coach, Ramakant Achrekar, they admitted to Shardashram Vidyamandir in Dadar.
- In childhood, Kambli and Tendulkar made a record partnership of 664 runs for their school. Sharadashram Vidyamandir piled 748 for two wickets against St Xavier’s School. In that innings, Kambli scored 349 runs not out.
- When Tendulkar made his Test debut, Kambli was selected for India U-19.
- In 1989, he made his domestic cricket debut for Mumbai. He started his Ranji Trophy career by hitting a six off the 1st ball of his Ranji career.
- In 1991, he was selected for the Indian National Cricket Team and the beginning of his career was extremely good; he made back to back centuries for the team. His best score was 227 runs against Zimbabwe.
- He has two ODI centuries to his credit; 100 runs against England in 1993 on his birthday and 106 runs against Zimbabwe in the 1996 World Cup.
- According to sources, the 1996 World Cup is considered the beginning of his decline. After the embarrassing loss in the semi-final against Sri Lanka, Kambli came to the dressing room in tears.
- At the age of only 24, he played his last Test match in 1995 against New Zealand. He played his last ODI on 29 October 2000 against Sri Lanka.
- According to sources, he has also played for Boland province in the South African Domestic Cricket.
- In 2002, he tried his hand in acting; he appeared in Ravi Dewan’s film, ‘Annarth,’ starring Sanjay Dutt and Suniel Shetty. In 2009, he was also seen in another Bollywood film, ‘Pal Pal Dil Ke Ssaat.’ In 2015, Kambli appeared in a Kannada film, Bettanagere.
- In 2004, he was also starred in a TV series, ‘Miss India.’
- He took retirement from international cricket in 2009 and from first-class cricket in 2011.
- In 2009, Kambli showed up in a reality show, ‘Sach Ka Saamna’ in which he made some allegation on his childhood friend, Sachin Tendulkar.
- In the same year, he joined a political party, Lok Bharati Party. He was also appointed the Vice-President of the party. He also contested 2009 Assembly Elections from the Vikhroli seat, as a Lok Bharati Party candidate, but lost the seat by a huge margin.
- On 15 August 2009, he launched a Cricket Academy named ‘Khel Bharti Sports Academy’ in Mumbai. The same year, he was the contestant in the 3rd season of Bigg Boss.
- In 2010, he converted to Christianity. He was baptized at the St Peter’s Church, Bandra, Mumbai.
- In 2011, he backed up Anna Hazare‘s campaign of India against Corruption.
- In the same year, journalist, Kunal Purandare wrote his biography, titled ‘Vinod Kambli: The Lost Hero.’
- On 29 November 2013, he suffered a Heart Attack while driving and was taken to Mumbai’s Lilavati Hospital.
- In 2016, he made a guest appearance in Comedy Circus season 3.
- On 27 December 2016, a BJP M.P., Dr. Udit Raj made a controversial tweet. He tweeted that Kambli was excluded from cricket because he was a Dalit. However, later, Kambli himself refuted such a statement by a tweet.
- In February 2017, it was reported that Kambli was set to join BJP. He also met the 18th Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Devendra Fadnavis, and discussed matters related to sports in rural areas of the state.