Kalyan Singh Age, Death, Wife, Family, Caste, Biography & More
Age: 89 Years
Death Date: 21/08/2021
Wife: Ramwati Devi
|Political Parties||Bharatiya Jan Sangh (1967-1980)
Bhartiya Janata Party (1980-20 January 2009)
Rashtriya Kranti Party (1999; he had some differences with BJP, eventually founded Rashtriya Kranti Party that merged with BJP later)
Samajwadi Party (2009-2010)
Jan Kranti Party (2010-2013)
|Political Journey||• Elected to Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly in 1967 for the first time and remained until 1980.
• In June 1991, BJP got the victory in the Assembly Elections and Kalyan Singh became the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh for the first time.
• After the Babri mosque demolition, Kalyan Singh resigned the post of the Chief Minister of the State on 6 December 1992.
• He again became the Chief Minister of the state in 1997 and remained until 1999.
• Due to differences with BJP, Kalyan Singh left BJP and formed another party, 'Rashtriya Kranti Party'.
• In 2004, upon the request of former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee, he came back in BJP.
• In the 2004 general elections, he was elected to the Parliament from Bulandshahr lok sabha constituency.
• Again in 2009, he got upset with BJP and competed in the 2009 general elections as an independent candidate from Etah constituency and won it.
• In 2009, he joined Samajwadi Party.
• Again in 2013, he came in BJP.
• On 4 September 2014, he was sworn in as Governor of Rajasthan.
• From 28 January 2015 to 12 August 2015, he served as the Governor of Himachal Pradesh also.
|Biggest Rival||Kunwar Devendra Singh Yadav
|Date of Birth||5 January 1932|
|Birthplace||Village- Mdholi, Tehsil- Atrauli, Distt.- Aligarh, United Provinces, British India (Now, Uttar Pradesh, India)|
|Date of Death||21 August 2021|
|Place of Death||Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow|
|Age (at the time of death)||89 Years|
|Death Cause||Sepsis and Multi-organ failure Hindustan Times|
|Hometown||Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|College/University||Dharm Samaj Mahavidhyalya, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh|
|Educational Qualification(s)||B.A. and L.L.B.|
|Hobbies||Watching News and Kabaddi, Listening to Music, Reading Religious Scriptures|
|Controversies||• In 1992, his name appeared among the accused of the demolition of Babri Mosque in Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh. Among a total of 49 cases filed in 1992, the second case, FIR no 198, had named Kalyan Singh, L. K. Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi, and Uma Bharti, accusing them of promoting religious enmity and provoking rioting. Later, in 1993, the CBI filed a single, consolidated chargesheet against 48 people, including Kalyan Singh, L. K. Advani, and Shiv Sena founder Bal Thackeray. Later, after an order by the Supreme Court, cases against Kalyan Singh, Mr Advani, Mr Joshi, and Uma Bharti moved from Lalitpur to Rae Bareli to Lucknow. On 30 September 2020, after 28 years, a Special CBI Court in Lucknow, acquitted all 32 accused in the Babri Mosque Demolition Case, including BJP leaders LK Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi, and Uma Bharti, Kalyan Singh. On 6 December 1992, Babri Mosque, a 16th-century mosque in Ayodhya, was demolished by thousands of "Kar Sevaks" who believed that the mosque was built on the ruins of an ancient temple that marked the birthplace of Lord Rama. In November 2020, in a landmark verdict, the Supreme Court of India ordered the construction of a temple at the site.
• In April 2019, just before the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections, the Election Commission of India brought to President Ram Nath Kovind’s notice the alleged Model Code of Conduct violation by Rajasthan Governor Kalyan Singh. Mr. Singh had said that he was one of the BJP “karyakartas." He also said to BJP workers, “Every worker would want Narendra Modi again became the Prime Minister."
|Girls, Affairs, and More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Married|
|Children||Son- Rajveer Singh (Politician)
Daughter- Prabha Verma
|Parents||Father- Tejpal Singh Lodhi
Mother- Sita Devi
|Politician||Atal Bihari Vajpayee|
|Sports||Kabaddi, Table Tennis|
|Assets/Properties||600 gm gold jewellery worth ₹18 lakh and 4 kg silver worth ₹20,000
One Messey Tractor of 2002 model
|Salary (approx.)||Rs. 3.5 Lakh per month + other allowances|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 62 Lakh (As in 2014)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Kalyan Singh
- Before entering politics, he was a full-time volunteer for Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).
- After receiving higher education, Kalyan Singh got the job of teaching.
- During the time of National Emergency in 1975, he was arrested and remained in jail for 21 months.
- When the Babri mosque was demolished, he was the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh. He resigned the post of Chief Minister. He did not allow police officers to shoot karsevaks. He took the moral responsibility for the event.
- Whenever he became the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, he stopped cheating in the board examinations. Anti-Copying Act, 1992, was implemented by his government in 1992.
- When BJP came into power in 1997, he became the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh and his government insisted that primary classes should begin the day with the worship of Bharat Mata and Vande Mataram.
- He was removed from the office of the Chief Minister on 21 February 1998 when Naresh Agarwal withdrew his support to Kalyan Singh’s government. Governor Romesh Bhandari dismissed Kalyan Singh’s government and invited Jagdambika Pal to form the new government. However, Allahabad High Court did not allow this form of government and Naresh Agarwal had to return to BJP, Kalyan Singh proved his majority in the assembly and formed the government.
- His son Rajveer Singh is also a politician and has been elected as a member of Parliament in the 2014 general elections.
- His grandson Sandeep Kumar Singh is also a politician and Minister of State for Education in the Yogi Adityanath government.
- He was honoured with Padma Vibhushan (posthumous) under the category Public Affairs, Uttar Pradesh.