|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet inches- 5' 5"
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 56 kg
in pounds- 123 lbs
|Figure Measurements (approx.)||33-26-34|
|Debut||Singles: Jugni Ji (2012)
Bollywood Playback: 'Baby Doll' from the movie Ragini MMS 2 (2014)
|Mentor/Guru||Pandit Ganesh Prasad Mishra|
|Awards, Honours||• Big Star Entertainment Award for Most Entertaining Female Singer for the song "Lovely" (2014)
• Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer for "Baby Doll" (2015)
• Hindustan Times Most Stylish Awards for Most Stylish Music Personality (2016)
• IIFA Award for Best Female Playback Singer for "Chittiyaan Kalaiyaan" (2016)
• Stardust Award for Best Playback Singer– Female for "Baby Doll" (2014)
|Date of Birth||23 March 1981|
|Age (as in 2019)||38 Years|
|Birth Place||Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Aries|
|Hometown||Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh|
|School||Loreto Convent, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh|
|College||Bhatkhande Music Institute, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh|
|Educational Qualification(s)||BA & MA in Music from Bhatkhande Music Institute in Lucknow|
|Address||She lives at a small apartment in Knightsbridge, London|
|Hobbies||Doing Yoga, Shopping, Travelling|
|Controversy||Singer & Music Producer Dr Zeus expressed his disappointment when he was not credited as the producer of the song "Baby Doll Main Sone Di," Kanika's debut Bollywood song. In a radio interview, he said that the fruits of all his hard work were reaped by Meet Bros., who were unfairly given the credits for the song.|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||Year 1997|
|Husband/Spouse||Dr. Raj Chandok (m. 1997–2012)
|Children||Daughter(s)- Aayana, Samara
Note: Kanika's children have British citizenship
|Parents||Father- Rajeev Kapoor (Runs his family business of electrical trading)
Mother- Poonam Kapoor (runs a boutique)
Brother- Sasha (Elder, owns a company in London)
|Favourite Food||Aloo Paratha|
|Favourite Sweet Dish||Kesar Jalebi|
|Favourite Actors||Bollywood: Hrithik Roshan
Hollywood: Leonardo DiCaprio
|Favourite Actress||Deepika Padukone|
|Favourite Musicians||A. R. Rahman, Vishal-Shekhar, Beyonce, Shakira, Pitbull, Jennifer Lopez and Justin Bieber|
|Favourite Lyricist||Shabbir Ahmed|
|Favourite Designers||Peter Dundas, Christian Laqua, Rohit Bal, Manish Malhotra|
|Favourite Singer(s)||Lata Mangeshkar, Alka Yagnik, Udit Narayan, Justin Bieber|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Kanika Kapoor
- Does Kanika Kapoor smoke?: No
- Does Kanika Kapoor drink alcohol?: Not Known
- Kanika is a popular Indian playback singer who is known for some hit Bollywood numbers including “Baby Doll” and “Chhitiyan Kalaiyan.”
- Besides singing, she is also a trained Kathak dancer.
- Kanika was born and brought up into a business-class family in Lucknow.
- In Lucknow, Kanika has a large extended family, comprising of around 150+ members, all living nearby.
- Her father, Rajeev Kapoor is the third generation in his family’s business of electrical trading.
- Kanika’s mother, Poonam, is an established exporter of Chikan work and also runs a boutique, called Kalakrutti.
- Her elder brother, Sasha, has his own company in London.
- Kanika’s family has a musical background and her uncle has learnt music from the late Pandit Ganesh Mishraji. Kanika would often sit with them together on Sundays and practice.
- Kanika started learning music at a very young age, and when she was only 11 years old, she got an opportunity to sing on the All India Radio (AIR).
- At her Lucknow house, Kanika had converted her garage into a studio, where she would sing and record.
- Anup Jalota was her father’s childhood friend, and he would often give her a chance to sing Bhajans in the breaks that he took during his performances.
- It was Anup Jalota who introduced the 16-year-old Kanika to Bollywood folk and helped here sign a three-year contract with Universal Polygram.
- While in Mumbai, Kanika made an album with Lalit Sen but it never released.
- Initially, Kanika had decided never to get married in her life, However, when she met Raj Chandok (best friend of Kanika’s London based cousin) at her cousin’s wedding at Khajuraho, she fell in love with him.
- At the age of 18, Kanika got married to Dr. Raj Chandok and moved to London.
- While in London, Kanika gave up singing; because she wasn’t allowed.
- Talking about her married life in London, Kanika says-
I was a normal papad achaar housewife, had three kids and was happy playing a mother to them, till we separated.”
- Kanika also explains about becoming of her an arrogant materialistic woman after being married to a rich man-
Marriage exposed me to a fancy life of another level and that kind of took over me. I was materialistic, egoistic, vain and was full of myself, to the extent of being borderline arrogant. The money, the kids, the lifestyle all made me stay with my husband for a long time, till it became too much to go through personally.”
- After happily living for almost 15 years, Kanika and her husband’s relation started growing sour; after she found her husband cheating on her. Both separated in 2010 and finally divorced in 2012.
- After living at the plush apartment in Central London at Mayfair, now, Kanika lives at a small apartment in Knightsbridge in London.
- Kanika also owns a house in Mumbai and has personally supervised for its interior decoration.
- Her elder brother, Sasha, and Harmeet Singh (from the Meet Brothers duo) were classmates at Gwalior’s Scindia School. This is how Kanika Kapoor knows Meet Brothers; in fact, she considers Harmeet & Manmeet as her brothers.
- After her divorce, Kanika moved to India along with her children; however, since her children were not able to adjust in the Indian environment and were getting ill, she moved back to London.
- Kanika is very close to her grandmother and says-
Every time we leave Lucknow my Dadi ma puts a red tikka and gives us ₹500.”
- She became popular after the release of her song “Jugni Ji” in 2012. Notably, the track was the remix version of the Pakistani Sufi song “Alif Allah,” which was originally sung by Arif Lohar and Meesha Shafi at the third season of Coke Studio Pakistan (2010).
- According to Kanika, she cannot speak Punjabi properly despite singing a number of songs with Punjabi lyrics.
- Kanika also runs her own fashion brand “Kanika Kapoor: House of Chikankari” to promote the art of embroidery and textile decoration.
- In 2016, she became the brand ambassador of Swiss Watch manufacturer 88 Rue du Rhone.
- In 2015, during Prime Minister Narendra Modi‘s visit to the UK, Kanika sang the welcome song.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of IPL Winners (2008-2018)
- In 2018, she again performed in front of Narendra Modi during his visit to the UK; this time she sang the national anthem of India.