|Birth name||Nakhat Khan Indian Express|
• Film producer
• Television presenter
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 167 cm
in meters- 1.67 m
in feet & inches- 5’5"
|Debut||Child Artist- The Burning Train (1980)
Hindi Movie- Jaanoo (1985)
Telugu Movie- Kaliyuga Pandavulu (1986)
Tamil Movie- Dharmathin Thalaivan (1988)
Kannada Movie- Ranadheera (1988)
Malayalam Movie- Uncle Bun (1991)
|Political parties||• Bharatiya Janata Party (2020 – present)
• Indian National Congress (2014 – 2020)
• Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (2010 – 2014)
|Date of Birth||29 September 1970 (Tuesday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||51 Years|
|Birthplace||Bombay, Maharashtra, India|
|Hometown||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|School||Swami Muktananda High School, Mumbai|
|Educational Qualification||She received her Upper Primary education at Swami Muktananda High School, Andheri, Mumbai. NDTV|
|Religion||Muslim Indian Express|
|Address||No.2, Leith Castle North street,Foreshore Estate, Santhome High Road,Chennai-600 028|
|Hobbies||Pets, Listening to Music, and Travelling|
|Tattoo(s)||She has tattooed the names of her daughters Avantika and Anandita on the inner side of her right forearm.
She has a tattoo on her back.
She has a tattoo on the outer side of her arm.
|Controversies||• In 2005, in an interview, Khushbu said that it was okay for girls to indulge in sex before marriage if they protect themselves from sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy. She added that no educated man could expect his partner to be a virgin after marriage. Soon after the statement was given by Sundar, the office of the South India Film Artistes' Association was thrashed by the Dalit Panthers of India while demanding an apology from her. An Indian political party, the Pattali Makkal Katchi also protested against her in front of her house. Soon after the statement given by Khushbu, 22 complaints were lodged against her for "defaming Tamil womanhood and chastity." However, in 2010, the Supreme Court of India dismissed all the cases against her. Rediff
• In January 2006, Maxim magazine featured a model wearing a bikini with her head pasted onto the body, which was a full-page picture on their cover page. Khushbu filed two complaints against the editor and four other people involved with the magazine. One for defamation and the other for the indecent representation of women. Till December 2007, at the Madras High Court, this case stayed until a plea was filed by any of the accused. DNA
• In December 2012, Khushbu attracted controversy when she wore a saree that had images of the Hindu Gods i.e. Ram, Krishna and Hanuman imprinted on it. Soon after the incident, the Hindu Makkal Katchi demanded an apology from her. Later, Khushbu responded to this threat and said,
"I am not going to answer every Tom, Dick and Harry. Why should I? There is no need at all. Why are they worried about what a woman sports. Don't they have any other worthwhile work?"
Several cases were filed against Khushbu by The Hindu Munnani and the Hindu Makkal Katchi. In the complaint, they stated that on 22 November 2007, Khushbu Sundar disrespected Hindu gods while sitting in front of the idols of Goddesses Lakshmi, Sarswathy and Parvathy during a pooja. They further added that she was sitting cross-legged with her slippers at the muhurat pooja at Chennai. DNA India
• In August 2017, Khushbu blamed Mitu Bhowmick Lange for discriminating against South film stars and Non - Hindi films. Mitu Bhowmick Lange is the tender provider and director of the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (IFFM). Khushbu actively fights for the recognition of South Indian cinema and Non - Hindi cinema on global film festivals and platforms. During the controversy, she boldly raised her voice and said that Indian cinema is not just about Bollywood movies. SBS
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs||In 1991, she was in a relationship with the actor Prabhu Ganesan. They fell in love with each other on the sets of the movie Chinna Thambi. The couple had been in a live-in relationship for more than four years (1991-1994). Prabhu was already married, and the relationship was opposed by the father of Prabhu 'Sivaji Ganesan.' Consequently, the couple decided to break up. New Indian Express
|Husband||Sundar C. (an Indian film director and actor)
|Parents||Father- Name Not Known
Mother- Najma Khan
Mother-in-Law- Deivanai Chidambaram
|Children||Daughters- Avanthika and Ananditha
|Siblings||Khushbu has three brothers named Abdhuallh (an actor), Abu Bakker and Ali.
|Assets/Properties (as of 2019)||Movable Assets
• Cash: Rs. 3,25,600
• Deposits in Banks: Rs. 71,65,347
• LIC or other insurance Policies: Rs. 20,00,000
• Motor Vehicles: Rs. 1,54,42,668
• Jewellery: Rs. 4,14,00,000
Gross Total Value: Rs. 6,63,33,615
Immovable Assets: Rs. 34,56,87,500
Loans from Banks: Rs. 4,00,69,889 My Neta
|Net Worth (approx.) (as of 2019)||Rs. 37,19,51,226 My Neta|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Khushbu Sundar
- Khushbu Sundar is an Indian actress, film producer and television presenter who was turned politician in 2010. She is predominantly recognised for her prominent roles in South Indian movies. She has appeared in more than 200 films. Three Tamil Nadu State Film Awards were earned by Khushbu during her career in films. She is the receiver of one specially mentioned Kerala State Film Award in 2006. She was honoured with a Kalaimamani award by the Tamil Nadu government.
- Khushbu Sundar was given the stage name “Khushbu” by her parents when she began her career as a child artist in the song “Teri Hai Zameen Tera Aasman” from the movie “The Burning Train” The News Minute
- As a child actor, she appeared in the Hindi films like Naseeb (1997), Laawaris (1981), Kaalia (1981), Dard Ka Rishta, and Bemisal (1982).
- In 1982, she performed in the fairy/pari song “Main Pariyon Ki Shehzaadi” from Dard Ka Rishta’s movie. This song was a hit and is still very popular in Indian children’s parties and the annual day functions at schools.
- Khushbu was using the surname Sundar since her marriage. She got married to Sundar C. in 2000. The News Minute The couple named their film production company ‘Avni Cinemax’ after their daughters Avantika and Anandita.
- In 1985, Khushbu was seen dancing with Javed Jaffrey in the movie Meri Jung. The lyrics of the song were “Bol Baby Bol, Rock n Roll.” In the same year, Khushbu made her marking debut as a lead actress in the movie Jaanoo opposite Jackie Shroff.
- In 1986, she appeared against Govinda in the movie Tan-Badan. Soon, she appeared in a supporting role in the movie Deewana Mujh Sa Nahin, which also starred Aamir Khan and Madhuri Dixit. She performed a solo song in this movie, and this song was a blockbuster hit and is still popular at Indian marriage functions across North India.
- After the movie ‘Deewana Mujh Sa Nahin,’ she predominantly appeared in South Indian films.
- In 1986, Khushbu Sundar entered South Indian movies and made her marking debut opposite Venkatesh in the Telugu film Kaliyuga Pandavulu. Since then, she has been living in Chennai. The News Minute Soon, she started focussing only on South Indian and Tamil movies. She worked and appeared in more than 150 South Indian movies after shifting to South cinema. She has performed opposite various renowned South Indian actors including Kamal Hassan, Rajinikanth, Tiger Prabhakar, Ravichandran, Suresh Gopi, Sathyaraj, Prabhu, Sarath Kumar, Chiranjeevi, Vishnuvardhan, Ambareesh.
- Khushbu Sundar appeared in more than 100 Tamil films along with Malayalam, Kannada and Telugu films. Some of her noted Malayalam movies include Uncle Bun, Vrudhanmare Sookshikkuka, Independence, Manathe Kottaram, Kaiyoppu, and Mr Marumakan.
- Some of her prominent Kannada movies include Ranadheera (1987), Anjada Gandu, Shanthi Kranthi, Yugapurusha, Gagana Aunty Preetse, and Jeevanadhi.
- Khushbu Sundar performed mainly opposite Venkatesh and Nagarjuna in Telugu movies.
- At her peak in Indian Cinema, Khushbu Sundar was regarded as the leading actress in the Tamil film industry. Her fans built a temple with her idol in Tamil Nadu after her name and dedicated it to her. She became the first and only actress in the Indian film industry on receiving this honour. In 2001, in an interview, Khushbu said while answering a question related to the temple built after her name,
I have not gone even once. They have shown me photographs.”
- Khushbu Sundar, along with Usain Bolt, is a respectable member of the Richmond Football Club in Melbourne, Australia. In 2016, she was regarded as the first Indian woman who held the ticket of the Richmond Football Club. Later, she was considered the first Indian celebrity who was given such an honour in the AFL (The Australian Football League). She learned the rules of football from the former Ministerial Adviser Nitin Gupta. Soon after getting this honour, Khushbu agreed to promote AFL Football in India after taking a guided tour of the Richmond Football Club in September 2017. This gesture was regarded as a good initiative to strengthen the relations between India and Australia.
- In 2017, during her peak in Tamil cinema, several dishes in Tamil Nadu were named after Khushbu by her fans. The most popular dish named Khushbu Idli, a rice cake is still a favourite dish item among Tamilians. Some other food items including Kushboo Jhumki, Kushboo Sarees, Kushboo Sharbet, Kushboo Coffee, Kushboo Cocktails were named after Khushbu. The Hindu
- In 2017, Khushbu promoted Little India cultural precincts in Victoria, Australia. She was appointed as the Brand Ambassador of Little India. The Indian Sun On becoming the Brand Ambassador of Little India, Khushbu said on this occasion,
I’m happy to help the small businesses of Australian Indian community with additional profiling and exposure.”
- After a successful career in South Indian movies, Khushbu went on to join politics. In May 2010, Khushbu joined the Indian political party DMK. DMK leader Karunanidhi welcomed Khushbu at his party headquarters in Chennai. However, on 16 June 2014, she left DMK.
- On 26 November 2014, Khushbu joined the Indian National Congress. Soon after joining the Congress party, she was appointed as the National spokesperson of the Indian National Congress. On her appointment in INC, Khushbu exclaimed,
This is the most delightful moment in my life. I feel I am at home. I am proud of joining the Congress as it is a secular party. I will work for the good of the country, not just for Tamil Nadu alone.”
- Khushbu left her father’s house with her mother and three brothers. She was sixteen years old when she walked out of her father’s home. In 2018, In an interview, she explained,
I rebelled very early when I decided to speak against my father and take my mother and brothers out of the family. Because I did not like the way he said that a woman’s position is somewhere. He was an abusive husband.”
She further added about that time when she left her house,
I still remember the date. It was September 12, 1986. My father told me that one day, you will be crawling on all fours and come begging to us. I told him that I will kill my brothers and mother and jump in front of a running train, but I will never come back to you.”
- In a video interview, Khushbu Sundar shared her emotions related to her mother and father and her childhood memories, and she also shared her views on pre-marital sex and live-in relationships.
- In April 2019, Khushbu Sundar slapped a man who allegedly misbehaved with her. The incident happened when she was campaigning for her party. A video went viral on social media after the incident. Several renowned personalities and the general public praised her for “not putting up with any misbehaviour” by commenting on the viral video.
— சோழ நாட்டு மைந்தன் 🇮🇳 (@KosalramT) April 11, 2019
- Khushbu is an active supporter of the Indian Bull-taming sport named ‘jallikattu.’ At several national and international platforms, she has been often seen supporting the sport. Khushbu once visited a cattle station in Warrnambool, Australia to learn how cattle are raised and treated on farms outside India. Deccan Chronicle
- Khushbu often shares her homemade recipes for healthy hair and skin on her social media account.
- Khushbu often shares pictures of her pet dogs Kulfi, Nila, and Snoopy on her social media account.
- Various Indian news channels often invite Khushbu Sundar to their shows to address the general public.
- On 12 October 2020, Khushbu resigned INC. On the same day, she joined Bharatiya Janata Party. Her resignation was ahead of the Tamil Nadu Assembly elections in 2021. She contested from the Thousand Lights constituency in Chennai. However, she lost the elections by a margin of 32200 votes. The opposition candidate, Ezhilan N of the DMK party won the elections by a percentage of 52.87.
- After joining BJP in 2020, Khushbu strongly stated against the Gandhis ruling in Indian National Congress. She said Gandhis were in a myth that they would defeat the Modi government in future elections. In an interview with a media house, she spelt out,
Gandhis have to come out of the bubble they have built for themselves. Till they don’t burst the bubble, they are going to be defeated. They will not find themselves in opposition also. It’s a myth that they think… forget ruling the country… they are living under false hope that they will be in opposition all the while. They will not be part of an opposition also.”
- In an interview, Khushbu Sundar shared her parenting principle with a media house. She said,
Being friends with the children is our first parenting principle. We have always treated them as our friends and they have absolute liberty to share their views, opinions, challenges they face, and so on with us.”
- In 2020, the PPC (Pradesh Congress Committee ) chief stated to Khushbu that she was just like a droplet on a lotus flower and not made for politics, and she was an actress, not a leader. In an interview, Khushbu replied to his statement and said,
This is the attitude they have against women who are intelligent and eloquent. To hell with modesty. I am bold, I am beautiful, and I am daring.”
- In December 2020, Khushbu revealed that her father was sexually & physically abusive to Khushbu and her mother.
- Khushbu protested against Ananda Vikatan in January 2021 for insulting Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- In March 2021, Khushbu Sundar met the local people in Tamil Nadu and prepared a dosa while campaigning for her political party.
- In July 2021, Khushbu Sundar’s Twitter account was hacked and all the posts were deleted by the anonymous hacker. The Times of India
- In 2021, Khushbu Sundar spoke about the women reservation in India at Conclave South 2021 event.