|Full name||Narayan Tatu Rane MSME Gov|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party (2019–present)|
|Political Journey||• Shiv Sena (1968–2005)
• Indian National Congress (2005–2017)
• Maharashtra Swabhiman Paksha (2017–2019)
|Date of Birth||10 April 1952 (Thursday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||69 Years|
|Birthplace||Konkan, Ratnagiri (Maharashtra)|
|School||Ghatkopar Shikshan Prasarak Mandal's Ratra Shala, Ghatkopar, Mumbai, India|
|Educational Qualification||He did 11th Standard (Passed S.S.C.) from Ghatkopar Shikshan Prasarak Mandal's Ratra Shala, Ghatkopar, Mumbai in 1970. India Gov In|
|Address||House No. 179, Varvade-Falshiyewadi, Fanasnagar, Tal. Kankavli, Dist. Sindhudurg 416602|
|Hobbies||• Playing cricket, Travelling, Reading books
• He was actively involved in sports activities and represented the Department of Income Tax in Indian cricket team from 1971 to 1984.
|Controversies||• In February 2011, The Bombay High Court issued a notice to Narayan Rane. The notice cited that an organisation that was headed by Rane's wife had misused a piece of land that was issued to her in Andheri, Mumbai. The notice stated that a restaurant was built on this land which was prior given for educational activities. Ashok Karangutkar filed public interest litigation against Rane's wife and alleged that the Sindhudurg Shikshan Prasarak Mandal, an organisation under the supervision of Neelam Rane, established The Jail Restaurant & Lounge in Sindhudurg Bhavan at Four Bungalows, Andheri, Mumbai instead of an educational institution. Mumbai Mirror
• In August 2011, in the Maharashtra legislative assembly, a legal brawl happened over the involvement of former chief minister of Maharashtra, Ashok Chavan and industry minister Narayan Rane in the Adarsh Housing Society scam, and the opposition parties in the legislative council raised their voice against the scam. Consequently, Ashok Chavan resigned after his name figured in the Adarsh Housing Society scam, and Narayan Rane also submitted his resignation. DNA India
• In 2012, a Pune based RTI (Right To Information) activist, Ravindra Barhate blamed Narayan Rane for returning a prime plot of land in Pune, Maharashtra to a person who had already received compensation from the government under the land Acquisition Act. Ravindra Barhate alleged that this was done by Rane during his tenure as Revenue Minister in the Shiv Sena-BJP led Government in 1998. In this case, Narayan Rane was holding the position of a quasi-judicial authority in 1998, and he decided that the land would be given to Datta Bahirat who gave his power of attorney to Rohan Builders. Later, Datta Bahirat demanded back his land from Rohan Builders that was acquired by the government for building the houses for the flood-affected persons who were displaced by the construction of the Panshet Dam at Pune in 1961. Following the high court order which was cited after a same case in 1994, Narayan Rane returned the unused land of 2.15 lakh sq feet of the 2.75 lakh sq feet to Ravindra Barhate on the repayment of rupees 16 lakh to the government. New Indian Express
• On 24 August 2021, the Ratnagiri police arrested him from Sangameshwar for his alleged remark in which he said that he would have slapped Uddhav Thackeray for ‘forgetting the number of years of India’s Independence during flag-hoisting on August 15.’ Earlier, on the same day, his anticipatory bail plea was rejected by a court in Ratnagiri district in the Konkan region. The Hindu Late in the evening, on the same day, a court in Mahad granted him bail. The Hindu
|Relationships & More|
|Wife||Neelam N. Rane
• Nilesh Rane (a member of Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP))
• Nitesh Rane (Bharatiya Janata Party)
|Parents||Father- Tatu Sitaram Rane
Mother- Laxmibai Tatu Rane
|Assets/Properties (as of 2019) My Neta||Moveable (worth Rs 44,83,89,483 crores)
• Cash- Rs. 1,22,483
• Deposits in Banks- Rs. 18,18,33,091
• Bonds, Debentures and Shares- Rs. 2,02,66,844
• NSS, Postal Savings etc- Rs. 39,87,222
• LIC or other insurance Policies- Rs. 56,41,614
• Personal loans/advance- Rs. 9,52,06,572
• Motor Vehicles- Rs. 3,58,48,240
• Jewellery- Rs. 7,60,73,431
• Other assets- Rs. 2,94,09,986
Immovable (worth Rs. 42,93,94,622 crores)
Liabilisties (worth Rs. 30,04,57,172 crores)
|Net Worth (approx.) (as of 2019) My Neta||Rs 32,71,31,591 crores (as in 2019)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Narayan Rane
Narayan Rane is an Indian politician, who is from the state of Maharashtra in India. He is the former Chief Minister of Maharashtra who served the state from 1 February 1999 to 17 October 1999. He served as the cabinet minister of Industry, Port, Employment and Self-employment from 2010 to 2014. In July 2021, he was given the charge of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises of India under the second ministry of the Modi government.
- Narayan Rane began his political career as local Shakha Pramukh (local ward chief) in Shiv Sena at Chembur, Mumbai, Maharashtra in his early twenties. He then served as the Councillor of the Kopargaon town in Maharashtra.
- In 1999, Rane became the Chief Minister of Maharashtra after the stepping down of Manohar Joshi from the Chief minister’s post. On 3 July 2005, Rane was expelled from the Shiv Sena party for “anti-party activities.” Outlook He was expelled because Shiv Sena felt that “Rane began a show of strength. People were threatened and gangsterism in the Sena could not be tolerated.” Outlook
- In an interview, Narayan Rane stated that Balasaheb (Bal Thackeray) was his idol and Guru, and he left Shiv Sena because of Uddhav Thackeray. He said,
I was with Shiv Sena for 39 years. Balasaheb Ji made me CM. I didn’t ask for it. Even today, I didn’t ask for a Cabinet berth. When I work for the party, the party thinks about me. There is nothing wrong. I respect Balasaheb Ji, I consider him my guru. Even when I was in Shiv Sena, I didn’t get along with Uddhav Thackeray. I quit Shiv Sena because of him.”
- In 2005, Narayan Rane joined the Indian National Congress. In Indian National Congress, he was given the charge of the Revenue Minister of Maharashtra. In the same party, Narayan Rane contested from the Konkan region of Maharashtra, from his Malvan seat, and he won the elections with a lead of over 50,000 votes. Later, he quit the post of Industries minister in the Chavan cabinet by submitting his resignation to the chief minister of Maharashtra, Prithviraj Chavan.
- After the Mumbai attacks in 2008, the then Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Vilasrao Deshmukh, was expelled from the Chief Ministerial post. Soon, Ashok Chavan was made the Chief Minister of Maharashtra, and Rane protested against the decision of the congress party and its senior leaders that resulted in Rane’s suspension for six years from the Indian National Congress.
- In October 2008, Narayan Rane released a Marathi daily newspaper under the ownership of his publishing house named Rane Prakashan Pvt. Ltd. In this publishing house, Narayan Rane serves as the Consulting editor. The renowned Indian journalist ‘Madhukar Bhave’ is the editor of this newspaper.
- In 2009, Narayan Rane apologized to the congress chief Sonia Gandhi for the protest he did against her in 2008 when Sonia Gandhi chose Ashok Chavan as the Cheif Minister of Maharashtra. Soon after his apology, in the Indian National Congress, he was given the charge of the Minister of Industry of Maharashtra, India. During the same time, Rane helped his two sons- Nilesh and Nitesh to enter Maharashtra politics.
In September 2017, Rane voluntarily quit congress. In an interview with a media house, Rane said on his resignation from the Indian National Congress,
I waited for 12 years. When I found that there was no scope for me in the Congress, I decided to quit from the primary membership of the party and membership of the legislative council.”
He further added that he had joined the Indian National Congress as he was assured that he will be made the chief minister of Maharashtra within six months of his joining.
- After quitting the Indian National Congress, in October 2017, Narayan Rane launched his new political party named the Maharashtra Swabhiman Paksha. At the inauguration conference of this new party, Rane said while addressing the media houses,
There was a need for a new political party and hence I launched the Maharashtra Swabhiman Paksha.”
- In December 2017, Narayan Rane publicly lashed out at Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray. In a party conference, Rane said that Thackeray had no conception about politics. He said,
Does he [Uddhav] even understand what politics is all about? He has no knowledge of any ministerial portfolio. Why doesn’t he exit the Fadnavis government instead of attacking everyone in the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).”
- In 2017, a cartoon picture went viral on social media when Narayan Rane left the Indian National Congress and met Devendra Fadnavis, the then Cheif Minister of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
- In 2018, Rane declared that his party, the Maharashtra Swabhiman Paksha, would support the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). Soon, he was elected to the Rajya Sabha on the Maharashtra Swabhiman Paksha’s nomination. In October 2019, Rane merged his party with the Bharatiya Janata Party. This merger was completed in the presence of the then Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis at Kankavli, Maharashtra, India. The Hindu
- In 2019, Narayan Rane was asked in an interview that the then Chief Minister (Devendra Fadnavis) wanted to improve Rane’s relations with Shive Sena and if he wanted the same thing. Rane then replied,
Fadnavis’s wish…is from good intention. I don’t have any objections to it. But, efforts should be taken from both sides. If that happens, then I’m ready.”
- In October 2020, Narayan Rane raised his voice against the Uddhav Bal Thackeray government and criticised that the Thackeray government was hushing up the Indian actor Shushant Singh Rajput‘s case. In a public conference meeting, Rane said to the media houses,
Soon the truth would be known whether it was death or suicide, who were involved in his death, how was he killed?… the CBI has found substance in the case and hence taken up the case, it has not closed the case.”
He further alleged that Aaditya Thackeray, the son of Uddhav Thackeray was involved in the rape and murder case of Disha Salian. He expressed,
The actor’s former manager Disha Salian was also killed and the two deaths were linked. Disha Salian was raped and murdered….the one minister who would go inside is chief minister’s son (Aaditya),”
- In 2020, amid the COVID-19 pandemic breakdown in Maharashtra, Narayan Rane met Maharashtra Governor BS Koshyari and demanded imposition of the President’s rule in the state. He criticised the procedure of working of Shiv Sena during the COVID-19 pandemic. He further added that the Shiv Sena government failed in handling the situations of the COVID-19 pandemic. He claimed,
This government lacked the capacity to run a government. Maharashtra should be put under President’s rule. The governor should step in. The condition of hospitals run by the state government and civic bodies is pathetic.”
He further demanded that the military should take the charge of these healthcare functions in Maharashtra and help in tackling and improving the situation in the state.
- In August 2020, Narayan Rane, along with the former chief minister Devendra Fadnavis inaugurated a COVID-19 centre at SSPM Medical College & Lifetime Hospital in Kasal-Padve in Sindhudurg district in Maharashtra.
- Several Indian political magazines often feature Narayan Rane on their cover page with his political journey.
- In July 2021, Rane was given the Ministery of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises after the Cabinet reshuffle in the Second Modi ministry.