Varun Alagh (Ghazal Alagh Husband) Age, Children, Family, Biography & More
Age: 38 Years
Education: PGDBM In Finance & Marketing
Hometown: Gurgaon, Haryana
|Famous For||Being the co-founder of Mamaearth, a natural (chemical-free) baby care, hair care, and skincare brand|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 7”
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Dark Brown (Semi-bald)|
|Date of Birth||Year, 1984|
|Age (as of 2022)||38 Years|
|Hometown||Gurgaon, Haryana, India|
|College/University||• Delhi College of Engineering, Delhi
• XLRI Jamshedpur
|Educational Qualification(s)||• B.E. in Electrical from Delhi College of Engineering (from 2001 to 2005)
• PGDBM in Finance & Marketing from XLRI Jamshedpur (from 2005 to 2007) Varun Alagh- LinkedIn
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Ghazal Alagh (an entrepreneur)
|Parents||Names Not Known
|Business Person||Indra Nooyi|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Varun Alagh
- Varun Alagh is an Indian entrepreneur. He is the co-founder of Mamaearth, a product of Honasa Consumer Pvt. Ltd.
- He grew up in a middle-class family in Gurgaon, Haryana.
- Varun interned with many big companies like Colgate Palmolive, Havells Electric, Madura Garments, Maruti, and Nokia, while pursuing his post-graduation.
- He started his career in 2007 with Hindustan Unilever Ltd. as a Business Leadership Trainee. Within a year, he was promoted to the position of Area Sales Manager (Delhi NCR) in the company. He was then promoted to the position of Area Sales & Customer Manager (Delhi NCR & Rajasthan) in June 2010. In the company, Alagh managed a team of around 37 executives and delivered distribution of 55000 retail outlets across Delhi & Rajasthan.
- Subsequently, Varun was appointed as the Regional Brand Manager Innovations South Asia – Deodorants in March 2011. After working as a Regional Brand Manager for a year, Varun resigned from the firm in 2012.
- Next, he joined Diageo PLC, Mumbai, as a Sr. Brand Manager – Smirnoff. He resigned from the company after a year.
- In May 2013, Alagh joined Coca Cola, Gurgaon, as a Brand Manager.
- In April 2015, he was promoted to the position of Senior Brand Manager in the firm. At this position, he managed the consumer marketing for Coca Cola products like Coke Classic, Coke Zero, and Diet Coke across India and South-West Asian countries like Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal. He left the company in November 2016 to start up his own venture.
- In the same year, he, along with his wife, founded Honasa Consumer Pvt. Ltd., a company that owns internet-first personal care brand Mamaearth.
- Varun and Ghazal decided to launch ‘Mamaearth’ after they found it difficult to arrange toxin-free products for their son, Agastya. Reportedly, Varun’s son suffered from a skin-borne disease called eczema since his birth. His skin was allergic to products that contained toxins and developed red, itchy patches, on its usage. On consulting with a doctor, the couple came to know about Agastya’s condition; the doctor recommended them to use toxin-free baby care products available in the market for him. Finding it hard to arrange toxin-free products for their son in India, Varun and Ghazal often asked their friends and relatives visiting abroad, to bring some toxin-free products for their son. As the process involved a lot of hassle, Varun and Ghazal came up with an idea to launch their own range of toxin-free products for babies and adults.
- They named their brand ‘Mamaearth’ and started selling baby care, hair care, and skincare products. The Indian actress Shilpa Shetty is its brand ambassador (as of 2022).
- In the financial year 2017, his company earned a revenue of Rs. 22.19 lakh. In the financial year 2020, his company’s revenue reached Rs. 112 crore and in 2021, it was recorded to be Rs. 500 crore.
- Soon, Varun launched another brand named The Derma Co. under his company Honasa Consumer Pvt. Ltd. The Derma Co. deals in skin and hair care products. During an interview, while talking about the go-to-market strategy of The Derma Co., Varun said,
For any new brand, our strategy will always be digital-first. We would like to initially tap D2C and then launch these products on marketplaces such as Nykaa and Amazon. Once the brand matures, we will take it to the offline channel. We are already seeing a good response for The Derma Co. and are quite confident that, by next year, it will cross Rs 100 crore in sales.”
- In 2021, he launched his third brand named Aqualogica (a skincare brand) under Honasa Consumer Pvt. Ltd.
- Varun is serving as the Chief Dad and Get Stuff Done Officer of Honasa Consumer Pvt. Ltd. as of 2022. His company has around 400 employees. In an interview, while talking about the presence of his company in around 120 cities across India, Varun said, “We have a presence in 120 major cities of the country and at various e-commerce platforms like Amazon, Nykaa, Firstcry, apart from selling through our own website.”
- In his spare time, he loves travelling and doing adventure sports.
- Varun also loves reading books whenever he is free. In an interview, he revealed that he reads about two books a week.
- He is often spotted drinking alcohol at various events.
- Varun is also a writer and had written many business articles like 5 benefits of Starting Up on the wrong side of your 30’s, Positive Friction in Business, and Goldilocks and other golden rules of motivation. The articles have been published in many business magazines.
- Varun has been featured on the covers of many popular magazines like Forbes India.
- He is an avid dog lover and has made special arrangements for dogs to rest outside his ‘Mamaearth’ store in Gurgaon.
|↑1||Varun Alagh- LinkedIn|