|Full name||Bibhu Mohapatra Bibhu|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 180 cm
in meters- 1.80 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 11”
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• In 2010, Bibhu Mohapatra received the "Young Innovator Award" from the National Arts Club.
• In June 2010, Bibhu Mohapatra was elected a member of the Council of Fashion Designers of America.
• In April 2013, SCAD Atlanta presented the exhibition "Surface" by Bibhu Mohapatra, an exhibition encompassing work from many seasons.
• In June 2013, Mohapatra was a finalist for the 2014 International Woolmark Prize.
• In 2014, Won Hall of Fame Awards in the category of Global Talent Award
|Date of Birth||7 June, 1972 (Wednesday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||49 Years|
|College/University||Utah State University, The US|
|Educational Qualification||Post Graduate in Economics nyfw|
|Food Habit||Non-Vegetarian Hindustan Times|
|Hobbies||Cooking (a dish he loves to cook is Chingri jhol, Oriya style)|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||11 September 2014
|Husband/Spouse||Robert Roane Beard (Painter & Artist)
|Parents||Father- C.R Mohapatra
Mother- Sashikala Mohapatra
|Siblings||Brother- Bijoy Mohapatra (Senior Production Designer of CNN)
Sister- Lopa Mohapatra
|Food||Chingri jhol (prawn dish), Oriya style|
|Actress||Rekha, Parveen Babi, Alia Bhatt|
|Music||Rabindra sangeet, English Rap, Spanish music, Instrumental music|
|Assets/Properties||200-year-old farmhouse in Stuyvesant in upstate New York Architectural Digest
Some Lesser Known Facts About Bibhu Mohapatra
- Bibhu Mohapatra is a New York-based Indian fashion designer and costume designer who is well known for his work in the field of fashion design globally. He got his fame in 2015 when the former First Lady of The US Michelle Obama landed in India wearing Bibhu Mohapatra’s designed dress from his spring 2015 collection. WWD
- He was born in the state of Odisha, he shifted to America in 1996 to make his career in the field of fashion designing. According to Bibhu, it was his mother who always influenced him to the designing field, as he along with his mother practised sewing during his childhood. In an interview, he said that if he was not in the field of fashion design, he would have been an architect.
- In 1999, he moved to New York City, he enrolled himself in Fashion Institute of Technology and started his first job as an assistant designer with an American fashion label titled as Halston. Later, after resigning from Halston and he joined the fashion label brand of J. Mendel (fashion designer) as an assistant designer. In an interview, he said that Givenchy (the original) inspired him as well in the field of fashion and designing.
- In 2008, he launched his own fashion label brand by the name Bibhu Mohapatra. His designs are sold at different world-famous boutiques such as Bergdorf Goodman in New York, Neiman Marcus, SAKS, and Nordstrom in the United States, Lane Crawford in China.
- In 2012, during the summer season, Bibhu got a chance to debut his collection on the runway through the primary costume designer for the Verdi opera Aida at Glimmerglass Opera in Cooperstown in New York, this collection was showcased in New York Fashion Week 2012.
- Bibhu also contributes to a few charities and NGOs’. He designed a collection of handwoven silk saris to help the traditional hand weavers of the state of Odisha. He is also the co-founder of India Society which is a New York-based organization set up to assist students of fashion and fine art with tuition and internships at US-based Universities.
- In 2016, he launched a diamond jewellery collection in collaboration with jewellery brand Forevermark. The collection was launched by the title “Artemis by Bibhu Mohapatra.” In an interview, he was asked about the inspiration behind his jewellery collection, to which he replied, Verve
I wanted to do something that was deeply rooted in our culture, so I looked into some of the ideologies that come from Vedic scriptures. One of them was the idea of cosmic alignment, of the sun, moon and stars determining people and their compatibility with each other and how their lives can intertwine with each other to tell new stories. That was the core idea behind Artemis.”
- In 2017, he filed for bankruptcy for his brand. In an interview with Economics times, he said, Economic Times
Chapter 11 [a form of bankruptcy] and the way the business system works in America is very different. This was a planned decision. My business is doing really well actually. People file for chapter 11 if they are struggling and they want to scale it [operations] down. People also do it because they want to restructure the organisation, reduce debt and then bring in more money. Brands like Michael Kors and Dior have done it in the past.”
- In 2017, Bibhu Mohapatra was invited by The Queen of the United Kingdom, Her Majesty Elizabeth II, and The Duke of Edinburgh at Buckingham Palace during the official start of UK-India Year of Culture.
- In 2019, he was invited by Miami’s President, Hakan Baykam to the talk show “In Conversation With” which was hosted at the Miami Campus of Istituto Marangoni to speak about the multi-cultural changes and effects in the fashion business globally.
- According to Bibhu if given a chance to design the costume, he would like to design the costume for the Bollywood movie Devdas (2002). In an interview he said,
Devdas has to be one. The new one. Because it was such an interesting time when the book was written, you could do so much with it with so little… it didn’t have to be layered with 10 yards of fabric trailing behind you.
- He has dressed various famous personalities like Freida Pinto, Michelle Obama, Lupita Nyong’o, Priyanka Chopra and Jennifer Lopez in his designed dresses. According to him, he loved to dress the former first lady of the US Michelle Obama, and if he would have given a chance to dress a Bollywood actress he would love to dress Bollywood actress Rekha. In an interview, he said,
It has to be Rekha. That woman… uff! When I’m in Mumbai, my driver makes it a point to stop the car in front of her house for two minutes, in the hope that she’ll come out to walk her dog or something (laughs). But no. No luck!