|Jitendra Satish Awhad MyNeta
|Physical Stats & More
|in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 7”
|Salt & pepper
|Nationalist Congress Party (NCP)
|• He was appointed as the inaugural National President of the Youth National Congress Party following the establishment of the NCP (Nationalist Congress Party) in 1999.
• He successfully won the Legislative Council election on two occasions, first in 2002 and then again in 2008.
• In the October 2009 Maharashtra Legislative Assembly election, Jitendra Awhad contested from the Mumbra-Kalwa constituency in Thane, representing the NCP and won by a margin of 15,689 votes.
• In 2014, he was re-elected as a Member of the Legislative Assembly from the Mumbra-Kalwa constituency in Thane and later assumed the role of Minister of Medical Education, Horticulture, and Employment Guarantee.
• In the 2019 Legislative Assembly election, he once again contested from the Mumbra-Kalwa constituency in Thane and won by a margin of 75,639 votes.He later assumed the position of Minister of Housing in the Uddhav Thackeray cabinet.
• In May 2023, he resigned from his post of National General Secretary of NCP; however, remained a NCP member.
• On 2 July 2023, he was appointed as the leader of opposition in Maharashtra Legislative Assembly after Ajit Pawar left NCP.
|Awards, Honours, Achievements
|Most impactful politician of Maharashtra award at Lokmat Awards in 2022
|Date of Birth
|5 August 1963 (Monday)
|Age (as of 2023)
|St. John The Baptist High School and Jr. College, Thane, Maharashtra
|• B.N Bandodkar College
• Bombay University (renamed Mumbai University in 1996)
|• Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in 1986 MyNeta
• Graduation in Marine Engineering Studies MHADA
• Master’s in personnel management
• Master’s in labour studies in 1989
• PhD in 2013
|B-3, Girija Enclave, Near Tuljabhavani Temple, Ganeshwadi Road, Panchpakkhadi, Thane (West) 400602
|IPC Cases MyNeta
• 3 charges under IPC Section-506 related to Punishment for criminal intimidation
• 1 charge under IPC Section-409 related to Criminal breach of trust by a public servant, or by banker, merchant or agent
• 1 charge under IPC Section-363 related to Punishment for kidnapping
• 1 charge under IPC Section-365 related to Kidnapping or abducting with intent secretly and wrongfully to confine a person
• 1 charge under IPC Section-368 related to Wrongfully concealing or keeping in confinement, a kidnapped or abducted person
• 1 charge under IPC Section-324 related to Voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous weapons or means
• 1 charge under IPC Section-420 related to Cheating and dishonestly inducing delivery of property
• 9 charges under IPC Section-143 related to Punishment for Being a member of an unlawful assembly
• 6 charges under IPC Section-149 related to Every member of unlawful assembly guilty of an offence committed in prosecution of a common object
• 5 charges under IPC Section-147 related to Punishment for Rioting
• 4 charges under IPC Section-341 related to Punishment for wrongful restraint
• 4 charges under IPC Section-145 related to Joining or continuing in unlawful assembly, knowing it has been commanded to disperse
• 3 charges under IPC Section-144 related to Joining unlawful assembly armed with a deadly weapon
• 3 charges under IPC Section-188 related to Disobedience to order duly promulgated by a public servant
• 2 charges under IPC Section-290 related to Punishment for public nuisance in cases not otherwise provided for
• 2 charges under IPC Section-291 related to Continuance of nuisance after injunction to discontinue
• 2 charges under IPC Section-146 related to Rioting
• 2 charges under IPC Section-148 related to Rioting, armed with a deadly weapon
• 2 charges under IPC Section-323 related to Punishment for voluntarily causing hurt
• 2 charges under IPC Section-504 related to Intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of the peace
• 2 charges under IPC Section-427 related to Mischief causing damage to the amount of fifty rupees
• 1 charge under IPC Section-109 related to Punishment of abetment, if the act abetted, is committed in consequence, and where no express provision is made for its punishment
• 1 charge under IPC Section-447 related to Punishment for criminal trespass
• 1 charge under IPC Section-336 related to an Act endangering the life or personal safety of others
• 1 charge under IPC Section-153 related to Wantonly giving provocation with intent to cause riot-if rioting to be committed-if not committed
• 1 charge under IPC Section-186 related to Obstructing public servants in the discharge of public functions
• 1 charge under IPC Section-141 related to Unlawful assembly
• 1 charge under IPC Section-435 related to Mischief by destroying or moving
Assaulting Engineer The Times of India
A civil engineer named Anant Karmuse accused Jitendra Awhad of kidnapping and assaulting him on the night of 5 April 2020, due to morphed pictures of Awhad that Karmuse had posted on social media. In his statement, Karmuse claimed that he was abducted by police officers and taken to Awhad's residence, where he was subjected to assault by both the police officers and Awhad's bodyguards. Karmuse even shared pictures of the marks on his back on social media as evidence. Jitendra Awhad was arrested on charges of assault but was later released on bail. Subsequently, the fourth charge sheet in the case was filed in May 2023.
Threat to resign over FIRs The Print The Print
In November 2022, two cases were filed against him. The first case involved a molestation allegation made by Bharatiya Janata Party leader Rida Rashid. According to her statement, she claimed that Jitendra had pushed her during an inauguration event.
The second case, which occurred two days prior to the molestation case, accused Jitendra of disrupting a night show of the film 'Har Har Mahadev' at a theater in Thane. In response to these allegations, Jitendra Awhad asserted that the cases were fabricated and filed against him falsely. He even expressed his willingness to resign from his position as an MLA via a tweet. He tweeted,
"Police registered 2 false cases against me in 72 hours. I will fight against police brutality. I am deciding to resign from the post of MLA. We can’t witness the murder of democracy."
Terming Kerala Story film fake The Times of India
He faced a non-cognizable offense case following remarks he made about the controversial film 'The Kerala Story.' An activist filed the case at the Vartak Nagar police station, citing Jitendra's statement on a news channel where he claimed that the incidents portrayed in the film were fabricated. Allegedly, Jitendra also stated that the film's producer should be publicly hanged for insulting the women of Kerala.
Comment about Sindhi community YouTube - TV9 Marathi
On May 27, 2023, during a party held in Ulhasnagar, he made an objectionable comment directed at the Sindhi community. As a result, an FIR (First Information Report) was filed against him at the Thane police station. The FIR was registered under Sections 153A, 153B, 295A, and 298 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) pertaining to charges related to promoting enmity between different groups based on religion, race, etc., deliberate and malicious intention to outrage religious feelings, and deliberate intention to wound religious feelings of any person. Allegedly, he said,
"Ek Sher ko maran ke liye sau Sindhi kutte bhi aa gaye to kuch bhi nahi karanat.”
Plot to kill Awhad's daughter and son-in-law Maharashtra Times Loksatta
In February 2023, Awhad and his supporters beat up the Assistant Municipal Commissioner of the Thane Municipal Corporation (TMC), Mahesh Aher, in his office and left him critically injured. Later, Awhad's daughter, Natasha, and wife, Ruta, released an audio clip in which a person can be heard plotting to kill Natasha and her husband, Allan Patel, with the help of Underworld contract killers. Aher claimed that Awhad did not like his action on encroachment, and it was an act of revenge. A case was registered against Awhad, his personal assistant, Abhijit Pawar, and nine other NCP members; however, Awhad was later released on bail.
Claims About Lord Ram
In January 2024, Awhad sparked a controversy when he claimed that Lord Ram was a non-vegetarian; he made these claims at an event in Shirdi, Maharashtra. According to him, Ram belonged to the ‘Bahujans’ and consumed non-vegetarian food during his 14-year exile in the forest. Awhad was later slammed by many BJP leaders including Ram Kadam, for his remarks. Kadam, in interview, called for action against Awhad and even mentioned about filing an FIR against him. Mint Awhad, however, later responded to the criticism and said,
What is the controversy that what did Lord Ram eat? Someone will claim Lord Ram used to eat methi-bhaji (fenugreek leaves fritters) There was no rice at that time. Lord Ram was a Kshatriya and Kshatriyas are non-vegetarians. I absolutely stand by what I said. 80% of India's population are non-vegetarians, they are also devotees of Lord Ram."
|Relationships & More
|Ruta Awhad (Daughter of politician Dattatray Samant)
Daughter- Natasha Awhad
|Father- Satish Bhaurao Awhad
|Son-in-law: Allan Patel (Natasha's husband)
|• Honda City
• Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Note: The income is for the financial year 2017-2018. It excludes the assets owned by his wife and dependents. MyNeta
Cash: Rs. 1,50,000
Bank Deposits: Rs. 84,75,085
Bonds, Debentures and Shares: Rs. 1,53,86,000
LIC or other insurance Policies: Rs. 33,13,670
Personal loans given: Rs. 8,37,47,459
Motor Vehicles: Rs. 55,66,149
Jewellery: Rs. 1,82,886
Other Assets: Rs. 85,000
Agricultural Land: Rs. 5,09,03,598
Non-Agricultural Land: Rs. 3,33,200
Commercial Buildings: Rs. 16,00,01,040
Residential Buildings: Rs. 1,37,91,200
Other: Rs. 5,41,04,053
Note: The given estimates of movable and immovable assets are according to the year 2019. It excludes the assets owned by his wife and dependents. MyNeta
|Net Worth (approx.)
Note: This net worth is for the financial year 2018-2019. It excludes the net worth of his wife and dependents. MyNeta
Some Lesser Known Facts About Jitendra Awhad
- Jitendra Awhad is an Indian politician affiliated with the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP). He has been 3 time MLA from Mumbra-Kalwa (Thane) constituency and has served as Minister in different Maharashtra cabinets. He became the Leader of the Opposition in the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly in July 2023.
- He used to actively play sports during his teenage and later shifted to politics.
- He entered student politics while studying in college. He was a Gymkhana secretary during his college days and later became the secretary of the All-India Students’ Organization. In 1982, he led a campaign aimed to protest rising tuition fees at Mumbai University.
- As the president of the Akhil Bhartiya Vanjara Youth Association, he decided to join the National Students’ Union of India (NSUI), the student wing of the Indian National Congress.
- In 1988, he assumed the position of chief secretary in the Maharashtra unit of NSUI. In 1991, he further rose in prominence and was appointed as the General Secretary of the NSUI at the national level.
- From 1988 to 1995, he also served as an assistant labour officer at Kores India Limited in Thane. In 1996, his political career took another significant leap as he assumed the role of president of the Maharashtra Pradesh Youth Congress.
- He later went on become an MLA and Maharashtra Cabinet Minister in different governments including the cabinets of Prithviraj Chavan and Uddhav Thackeray.
- He is a staunch supporter of NCP Supremo Sharad Pawar. When Pawar resigned from the post of NCP Chief, Awhad criticised Pawar’s decision and quit his position as National General Secretary. He talked about it in an interview and said,
For several decades, we have been staunch followers of Sharad Pawar. All along, Pawar has been saying that the people’s mandate is very important in a democracy. Without consulting senior party leaders, Pawar unilaterally quit the party post. In my opinion, Pawar’s decision is against his own principles. Under such circumstances, I too have decided to quit the party post. Pawar is the main link of opposition parties across the country, and we feel he should reconsider his decision and withdraw his resignation” The Times of India
- Through his NGO Sangharsh, he organizes the Dahi Handi competitions annually on the occasion of Krishna Janmashtami.
- He has a strong affinity for animals and birds and is an avid dog lover.
- He shares good relationships with various Bollywood actors including Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan. When he was the Horticulture Minister of Maharashtra, he roped in Amitabh Bachchan to promote the state’s horticulture practices.
- His daughter, Natasha Awhad, got married to her school-time friend, Allan Patel, who is a Christian, in a simple marriage registration ceremony at his home on 7 December 2021. The Times of India
- `He regularly goes to the gym and workouts to maintain his fitness.