Caste: Somvanshi Kshatriya Pathare
Wife: Varsha Raut
Age: 61 Years
|Profession(s)||Politician, Journalist, Writer, Film Producer|
|Famous For||Being the spokesperson of the Shiv Sena|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in metres- 1.70 m
in Feet Inches- 5' 7"
|Political Party||Shiv Sena
|Political Journey||• Elected to the Rajya Sabha from Maharashtra in 2004.
• Appointed as the leader of the Shiv Sena in 2005.
• Appointed as a Member of the Committee on Home Affairs and a Member of the Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Civil Aviation from October 2005 to May 2009.
• Re-elected to the Rajya Sabha from Maharashtra in 2010.
• Appointed as a Member of the Committee on Food, Consumer Affairs and Public Distribution, and the Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Power in 2010.
• Re-elected to the Rajya Sabha from Maharashtra in 2016.
• Elected to the Rajya Sabha for the fourth term on 5 July 2022.
|Date of Birth||15 November 1961 (Wednesday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||61 Years|
|College/University||Dr Ambedkar College of Commerce and Economics, Wadala, Mumbai|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com) MyNeta|
|Caste||Somvanshi Kshatriya Pathare Wikipedia|
|Food Habit||Non-Vegetarian MensXP|
|Address||Maitri, Friends Colony, Bhandup, Mumbai|
|Hobbies||Doing Social Service, Watching Sports, Watching Bollywood Movies|
|Controversies||• On 20 November 2012, two women were arrested when they commented on a Facebook post about the shutdown of Mumbai after the death of Bal Thackeray. Both women were 21 years old and one of them had commented on a post and the other had liked the comment. In an interview, Sanjay Raut said that the Shiv Sena supports the arrest of the women as the Facebook comment could have led to a law and order situation. He received a lot of criticism on his statement. NDTV
• On 13 April 2015, in an article in Saamana, Raut said that the voting rights of Muslims should be revoked to ensure they are not used for vote bank politics. He faced backlash from all factions of the society for suggesting such a thing. Members of the opposition said that they were disgusted to
hear such remarks and India is a democratic country and not some Talibani state. Hindustan Times
• On 24 August 2017, a Jain monk, Naypadmasagarji Maharajsaheb said that the Jains should support the BJP and move towards a meat-free society. Replying to the monk's statement, Raut threatened him by saying that he would register a complaint against him for violation of the poll code of conduct, and he also compared him with the Islamic preacher Zakir Naik. The All India Jain Minority Cell condemned his statement and said that they were extremely offended and sad by Raut's remarks. Indian Express
• On 15 April 2019, he sparked a controversy when during a rally he said-
"There is always a fear of the code of conduct. However, to hell with the law! We are that kind of people who would opt to say whatever is in our heart and mind rather than getting suffocated. Implications of the model code of conduct will be taken care of." InShorts
• On 25 October 2019, when the Maharashtra Assembly Election results showed that the BJP was getting lesser numbers compared to the 2014 Maharashtra Assembly Elections, Raut tweeted a picture of a tiger wearing a clock locket (NCP's symbol) and smelling a lotus flower (BJP's symbol). He also wrote- "Bura Na Mano Diwali Hai." Members of the BJP criticized him for the picture and said that it was in bad taste. Economic Times
• Sanjay Raut locked in a bitter war of words with Kangana Ranaut since she termed Mumbai unsafe after the death of actor Sushant Singh Rajput. Earlier, her comment that she feared living in Mumbai had led to a severe backlash from the Shiv Sena, and the state's home minister Anil Deshmukh said she had no right to stay in Mumbai. Kangana accused Sena leaders like Sanjay Raut of threatening her and remarked "why is Mumbai feeling like Pakistan-occupied- Kashmir." This comment escalated the row between Kangana and Shiv Sena. NDTV Later, the Centre government sanctioned "Y-plus" security cover to Kangana Ranaut; with this, the actress had a total of 11 CRPF personnel for her personal protection. The Times of India
• On the midnight of 31 July 2022, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) arrested him after nine-hour long raids at his Mumbai home in the Patra Chawl case. The ED also recovered unaccounted cash worth Rs 11.5 lakh from Raut's residence. According to the ED officials, Sanjay Raut, along with others, hatched a conspiracy to siphon off money from the Patra Chawl redevelopment project without completing the work. The Times of India On 8 August 2022, a special court in Mumbai sent him to judicial custody till 22 August 2022. The Hindu
• Soon after his arrest by the ED in August 2022, an audio went viral in which Sanjay Raut was abusing and threatening Swapna Patkar, a renowned personality in the Marathi film industry who is the wife of Sujit Patkar, a close aide of Sanjay Raut following which an FIR was registered against Sanjay Raut at the Vakola police station under sections 504,506 and 509 of IPC. Notably, Swapna Patkar is a witness in the Patra Chawl land case, for which the Enforcement Directorate detained Raut on the midnight of 31 July 2022. DNA On 9 November 2022, he was released from jail after he was granted bail by a court in Mumbai. NDTV
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||16 February 1993|
|Wife/Spouse||Varsha Raut (Teacher)
• Purvashi Raut
• Vidhita Raut
|Parents||Father- Rajaram Raut
Mother- Savita Rajaram Raut
|Siblings||Brother- Sunil Raut (Younger; Politician)
|Car Collection||Hyundai Accent (2004 model) MyNeta|
|Assets/Properties (as in 2016) MyNeta||Cash: 19,271 INR
Bank Deposits: 8.16 lacs INR
Agricultural Land: 3 lands worth 1.38 crores INR in Alibag, Maharashtra
Residential Building: 1 flat worth 2.32 crores INR in Dadar, Mumbai
Residential Building: 1 flat worth 1.10 crores INR in Goregaon, Mumbai
|Salary (approx.)||1 lac INR + other allowances (as a Rajya Sabha MP)|
|Net Worth (approx.)||14.22 crores INR (as in 2016) MyNeta|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sanjay Raut
- Sanjay Raut is a 3 time Rajya Sabha MP from Maharashtra. He was first elected to the Rajya Sabha from Maharashtra in 2004, and he has been a member of the house since then.
- He is the executive editor of the Shiv Sena political mouthpiece, Saamana. He has been writing articles for Saamana for more than 15 years.
- He was a close aide of Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray.
- The 2019 Bollywood film “Thackeray“, a film based on the life story of Bal Thackeray, was grossly based on the inputs given by Sanjay Raut and his name was also credited in the film as “Story By Sanjay Raut.” Nawazuddin Siddiqui played the role of Bal Thackeray in the film while Amrita Rao appeared in the film as his wife.
- Once, in an interview, Uddhav Thackeray said-
Sanjay Raut is the most appropriate person to make a film on Balasaheb Thackeray. He has not only seen Balasaheb closely but knew his thoughts and views.”
- In an interview, Raut said that he chose Nawazuddin Siddiqui to play the role of Bal Thackeray in just five minutes; as he knew that he would be perfect for the role.
- Sanjay Raut is a close confidante of the Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray.
- In November 2019, following the Maharashtra Assembly Elections, there was a dispute between the BJP and the Shiv Sena regarding the seat-sharing formula, the formation of Government in Maharashtra, and who will be the Chief Minister of Maharashtra. Sanjay Raut was one of the most strong voices from the Shiv Sena to demand a Shiv Sena Chief Minister for Maharashtra.