Age: 58 Years
Caste: Somvanshi Kshatriya Pathare
Wife: Varsha Raut
|Profession(s)||Politician, Journalist, Writer, Film Producer|
|Famous For||Being the spokesperson of the Shiv Sena|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in metres- 1.70 m
in Feet Inches- 5' 7"
|Political Party||Shiv Sena
|Political Journey||• Elected to the Rajya Sabha from Maharashtra in 2004.
• Appointed as the leader of the Shiv Sena in 2005.
• Appointed as a Member of the Committee on Home Affairs and a Member of the Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Civil Aviation from October 2005 to May 2009.
• Re-elected to the Rajya Sabha from Maharashtra in 2010.
• Appointed as a Member of the Committee on Food, Consumer Affairs and Public Distribution, and the Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Power in 2010.
• Re-elected to the Rajya Sabha from Maharashtra in 2016.
|Date of Birth||15 November 1961 (Wednesday)|
|Age (as in 2019)||58 Years|
|College/University||Dr Ambedkar College of Commerce and Economics, Wadala, Mumbai|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com) MyNeta|
|Caste||Somvanshi Kshatriya Pathare Wikipedia|
|Food Habit||Non-Vegetarian MensXP|
|Address||Maitri, Friends Colony, Bhandup, Mumbai|
|Hobbies||Doing Social Service, Watching Sports, Watching Bollywood Movies|
|Controversies||• On 20 November 2012, two women were arrested when they commented on a Facebook post about the shutdown of Mumbai after the death of Bal Thackeray. Both women were 21 years old and one of them had commented on a post and the other had liked the comment. In an interview, Sanjay Raut said that the Shiv Sena supports the arrest of the women as the Facebook comment could have led to a law and order situation. He received a lot of criticism on his statement. NDTV
• On 13 April 2015, in an article in Saamana, Raut said that the voting rights of Muslims should be revoked to ensure they are not used for vote bank politics. He faced backlash from all factions of the society for suggesting such a thing. Members of the opposition said that they were disgusted to hear such remarks and India is a democratic country and not some Talibani state. Hindustan Times
• On 24 August 2017, a Jain monk, Naypadmasagarji Maharajsaheb said that the Jains should support the BJP and move towards a meat-free society. Replying to the monk's statement, Raut threatened him by saying that he would register a complaint against him for violation of the poll code of conduct, and he also compared him with the Islamic preacher Zakir Naik. The All India Jain Minority Cell condemned his statement and said that they were extremely offended and sad by Raut's remarks. Indian Express
• On 15 April 2019, he sparked a controversy when during a rally he said-
"There is always a fear of the code of conduct. However, to hell with the law! We are that kind of people who would opt to say whatever is in our heart and mind rather than getting suffocated. Implications of the model code of conduct will be taken care of." InShorts
• On 25 October 2019, when the Maharashtra Assembly Election results showed that the BJP was getting lesser numbers compared to the 2014 Maharashtra Assembly Elections, Raut tweeted a picture of a tiger wearing a clock locket (NCP's symbol) and smelling a lotus flower (BJP's symbol). He also wrote- "Bura Na Mano Diwali Hai." Members of the BJP criticized him for the picture and said that it was in bad taste. Economic Times
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||16 February 1993|
|Wife/Spouse||Varsha Raut (Teacher)
• Purvashi Raut
• Vidhita Raut
|Parents||Father- Rajaram Raut
Mother- Savita Rajaram Raut
|Siblings||Brother- Sunil Raut (Younger; Politician)
|Car Collection||Hyundai Accent (2004 model) MyNeta|
|Assets/Properties (as in 2016) MyNeta||Cash: 19,271 INR
Bank Deposits: 8.16 lacs INR
Agricultural Land: 3 lands worth 1.38 crores INR in Alibag, Maharashtra
Residential Building: 1 flat worth 2.32 crores INR in Dadar, Mumbai
Residential Building: 1 flat worth 1.10 crores INR in Goregaon, Mumbai
|Salary (approx.)||1 lac INR + other allowances (as a Rajya Sabha MP)|
|Net Worth (approx.)||14.22 crores INR (as in 2016) MyNeta|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sanjay Raut
- Sanjay Raut is a 3 time Rajya Sabha MP from Maharashtra. He was first elected to the Rajya Sabha from Maharashtra in 2004, and he has been a member of the house since then.
- He is the executive editor of the Shiv Sena political mouthpiece, Saamana. He has been writing articles for Saamana for more than 15 years.
- He was a close aide of Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray.
- The 2019 Bollywood film “Thackeray“, a film based on the life story of Bal Thackeray, was grossly based on the inputs given by Sanjay Raut and his name was also credited in the film as “Story By Sanjay Raut.” Nawazuddin Siddiqui played the role of Bal Thackeray in the film while Amrita Rao appeared in the film as his wife.
- Once, in an interview, Uddhav Thackeray said-
Sanjay Raut is the most appropriate person to make a film on Balasaheb Thackeray. He has not only seen Balasaheb closely but knew his thoughts and views.”
- In an interview, Raut said that he chose Nawazuddin Siddiqui to play the role of Bal Thackeray in just five minutes; as he knew that he would be perfect for the role.
- Sanjay Raut is a close confidante of the Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray.
- In November 2019, following the Maharashtra Assembly Elections, there was a dispute between the BJP and the Shiv Sena regarding the seat-sharing formula, the formation of Government in Maharashtra, and who will be the Chief Minister of Maharashtra. Sanjay Raut was one of the most strong voices from the Shiv Sena to demand a Shiv Sena Chief Minister for Maharashtra.
References/Sources: [ + ]