|Masood Shahrukh Khan ESPN Cric Info
|Cricketer (Batsman/Bowler/ Wicket-keeper)
|Physical Stats & More
|in centimeters- 188 cm
in meters- 1.88 m
in feet & inches- 6’ 2”
|ODI- Did not play yet
Test-Did not play yet
T20- Did not play yet
|# 35 (IPL)
|• Lyca Kovai Kings
• Madurai Super Giant
• Punjab Kings
• Tamil Nadu
|Right hand bat
|Right arm offbreak
|Date of Birth
|May 27, 1995
|Age (as of 2021)
|Velachery, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
|Don Bosco School, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
|Relationships & More
|Father- Masood Khan (Former club cricketer)
Mother- Lubina Khan (Boutique Owner)
|Batsman- Joe Root
Bowler- Brett Lee
|Net Worth (approx.)
|5.25 crore INR Cric Buzz
Some Lesser Known Facts About Shahrukh Khan
- Shahrukh Khan is an Indian cricketer, who plays as an all-rounder for Tamil Nadu in the domestic circuit and franchise cricket for Punjab Kings in the Indian Premier League.
- Shahrukh Khan started his journey playing tennis ball cricket and eventually joining St. Bede’s academy, which known for producing great cricketers like Dinesh Karthik, Ravichandran Ashwin, and Krishnamachari Srikkanth.
- Shahrukh Khan won the best all-rounder award for his performance in the first edition of the Junior Chennai Super Kings tournament.
- On 27 February 2014, Shahrukh Khan made his List-A debut for Tamil Nadu in 2013-14 Vijay Hazare trophy. It took him four more years to make his first-class debut in 2018 for Tamil Nadu. Sharath T N, former Tamil Nadu selector while talking about him in an interview said-:
We picked him purely on his natural ability in the 2014-15 season. Back then, the TN team was filled with superstars in their prime — Dinesh Karthik, Murali Vijay, Abhinav Mukund, Subramanian Badrinath. So, he didn’t have a ready-made spot open. He was in the reserves for four years before he finally made his debut in 2018,”
- Shahrukh Khan was named after popular Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan, who owns the IPL team Kolkata Knight Riders. His parents were huge fans of the actor and wanted to name him after him.
- He has been a part of his state team in 5 First-class matches, 25 List-A, and 31 T20 matches with a strike rate of 131.39 in T20 matches.
- When I failed to make the U-19 World Cup squad, it shattered my confidence,” scored more than 600 runs and picking up 18 wickets in the Cooch Behar Trophy, which wasn’t enough to cement his spot in the team ahead of the ICC U-19 World Cup in UAE. This left him utterly disappointed, which he recalls as -:
When I failed to make the U-19 World Cup squad, it shattered my confidence,”
- Shahrukh Khan is yet to score a century in First-class cricket and List-A cricket with 92* and 69* being the highest runs scored by him in the respective formats.
- In the 2018 edition of Tamil Nadu Premier League, he put up an impressive performance for his side Kovai Kings scoring 325 runs in nine games helped him make a case for himself in the eyes of the state selectors and eventually earning a spot in the Tamil Nadu squad as a first-team regular.
- Shahrukh Khan was a part of the invincible Tamil Nadu team that won the Syed Mushtaq Ali trophy in 2021. The team clinched their second title in style by remaining undefeated throughout the season.
- Shahrukh Khan is a naturally aggressive batsman, who more often than not bats lower down the middle order having a strike rate of 100+ in List-A and T20, which is rarely a case with an uncapped player.
- Shahrukh Khan failed to impress any of the franchise team in the 2020 IPL auction and went unsold. He had also given a trial for Mumbai Indian but couldn’t make it in the final cut due to his injured finger. However; he created a lot of buzz in the 2021 IPL auction after being bought by Punjab Kings for a staggering 5.25 crore INR.
- Shahrukh Khan, who had a base price of 20 Lakh INR during the IPL auction rose to 5.25 crore INR with teams like Delhi Capitals, Royal Challengers Bangalore and Punjab Kings were interested in him and engaged themselves in a bidding war for his signature.
— DK (@DineshKarthik) February 18, 2021
- Shahrukh Khan was really excited about the opportunity to showcase his talent in the IPL and fulfill his price tag. In an interview, he told-:
The chance to play under K L Rahul and coach Anil Kumble and getting an opportunity to play a tournament like the IPL is something that excites me. Money is secondary”
- Shahrukh Khan is yet to showcase his potential and justify the hefty price tag paid by Punjab Kings for him. However; he tries to make the most out of the limited opportunities owing to his role as a lower-order batsman for the team with scores like 6*, 47, 15*, 22, 13, 0, and 4 respectively.
- Indian cricket legends like Virender Sehwag and Punjab Kings coach Anil Kumble have compared him to young Kieron Pollard for his aggressive playing style and ability to hit the ball out of the park. In an interview, Virender Sehwag said -:
He reminds us of a young Pollard, when he had just come into the IPL. Everyone was running after him, because he could just stand and hit sixes off bowlers. Shahrukh has the same quality. Although he has played those little innings and hasn’t played a big knock. But the lower you bat in the line-up, there’s only so much he can do,”
- On 19 December 2023, Shahrukh was sold to Gujarat Titans for Rs. 7.40 crore in the 2024 IPL auction against the base price of Rs. 40 lakh; the auction was held at the Coca-Cola Arena in Dubai.