|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 163 cm
in meters- 1.63 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 3”
|Date of Birth||7 May 1957 (Tuesday) Facebook|
|Date of Death||18 September 2020 (Friday)|
|Place of Death||Her South Kolkata’s Broad Street Home|
|Age (at the time of death)||63 Years|
|Death Cause||Stroke Indian Express|
|College/University||• Presidency College, Kolkata
• Calcutta University, Kolkata
|Educational Qualification||• Graduation in Philosophy Honours
• Masters in Philosophy Sharbari Datta
|Office Address||39, Golpark, Hindustan Park, Gariahat, Kolkata, West Bengal 700029|
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Widowed|
|Husband/Spouse||Late Alo Datta (Owned a clothing label of printed silks and had a sculpting business)|
|Children||Son- Amalin Datta (Fashion Designer))
|Parents||Father- Ajit Dutta (Indian Poet)
Mother- Name Not Known
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sharbari Dutta
- Sharbari Dutta was a popular Indian fashion designer and costume stylist.
- She was inclined towards singing and dancing while she was in school and college.
- She got married at an early age and after a few years of the birth of her son, she organized an exhibition of her clothing in 1991. After the success of her first exhibition, she organized an exhibition for the second time in which she invited media and was inaugurated by the Indian actor, Dipankar De. It was also successful and she started gaining popularity after it.
- She started her collection with men’s wear, and the fabric used in her collection was mainly khadi and silk. In an interview, she shared why she started with men’s wear, she said,
I pitied men their dull wardrobes. The west has enslaved us to notions of masculine dress codes which, we forget, have only a short history, dating after the Industrial Revolution. It has done something else, too. It had tutored Indian men to turn away from their rich dress heritage. Indian’s, both men and women, were fond of dressing up, from Mohenjodaro to the Mughals and never tires of pointing out that sartorial flair wasn’t confined to aristocratic finery, Sherwani, Angrakha, Piran, Bandhgala, Kurtas.”
- She used to choose a unique design for her every collection. Later, she started her fashion label, ‘Shunyaa’ with men’s collection followed by women clothing. She also launched a diamond jewellery collection for men.
- She won various awards for her contribution to the Indian fashion industry.
- She was very close to her sister-in-law, Rita, in an interview, she said,
I would do it only once, just for fun. People around me were more excited than me… my relatives, particularly my sister-in-law Rita. She encouraged me a lot and the invitation cards were also printed in her name. I would say she had a big role to play in my beginning.”
- In the last rites of the legendary music director cum singer, Rahul Dev Burman, the dhoti and kurta worn by him was from Sharbari’s collection. Telegraph India
- In 2007, the famous Bollywood actress, Aishwarya Rai bought clothes for her family and Abhishek Bachchan’s family for the eve of her wedding.
- Her clients included various Bollywood celebrities like Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan, Hrithik Roshan, and Sachin Tendulkar.
- In an interview she shared one of her achievements, she said,
Some things that I think are my achievements are how MF Husain bought my stuff when my label wasn’t even established and no one knew my name; so he bought my work because it appealed to him aesthetically.”
- On 18 September 2020, at 12:25 am, she was found dead in her bathroom at her residence in South Kolkata’s Broad Street. On her demise, her son said,
I didn’t see her throughout Thursday. I thought she was busy and had gone out for work. It is nothing unusual. Both of us remain so busy that we don’t get to meet every day.”
- Shabari’s daughter-in-law, Kanaklata said on Shabari’s demise,
She lived alone on the ground floor of their Broad Street residence while I and my husband Amalin lived on the first floor. We generally met during breakfast on the ground floor and then everyone left for their work. Since it was Vishwakarma Puja yesterday, we were busy with it on the first floor. My mother-in-law would often leave for work and we thought she must have gone out. But when she did not respond to our calls and message till evening, we got worried. Late in the night, we entered her room, switched on the lights and found her lying in the bathroom.”
- On her demise, many popular Bengali celebrities shared their condolence, including Parama Banerjee, Ujjaini Mukherjee, Srabonty Chatterjee, Rukmini Moitra, Pujarini Ghosh, and Debesh.