|Profession||Singer and RJ|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height||in centimeters- 161 cm
in meters- 1.61 m
in Feet Inches- 5' 3"
|Weight||in Kilograms- 50 Kg
in Pounds- 110 lbs
|Date of Birth||2 July 1993|
|Age (as in 2015)||25 Years|
|Hometown||Auckland, New Zealand|
|College||• University of Auckland, Auckland
• New York Film Academy
|Educational Qualification(s)||• A degree in Marketing and Information Systems from the University of Auckland
• Did a course from New York Film Academy
|Debut||YouTube: Cover song "Tum Hi Ho" from Ashiqui 2 in 2012
Film: Song- "Disco Disco" from the film "A Gentleman" (2017)
|Family||Father- Raj Setia (Businessman)
Mother- Name Not Known
Brother- Shane (Younger)
|Hobbies||Nail art, Listening to Music|
|Tattoo||A tiny tattoo on her right wrist
|Favourite Actor(s)||Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan and Ranbir Kapoor|
|Favourite Actress||Hilary Duff|
|Favourite Film||Wake Up Sid|
|Favourite Musician(s)||Lata Mangeshkar, A. R. Rahman, Arijit Singh, Shaan, Shreya Ghoshal, Sonu Nigam, Shankar Mahadevan|
|Favourite Style Icon||Kareena Kapoor|
|Boys, Affairs and More|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Shirley Setia
- Does Shirley Setia smoke?: No
- Does Shirley Setia drink alcohol?: No
- Shirley is a New Zealand-based singer and social media star with more than 2.2 million followers on Facebook, 689K followers on Instagram, and 6.5 million subscribers on YouTube.
- She was born in Daman but moved to New Zealand along with her family at the age of seven.
- Shirley father, Raj Setia is a businessman with roots in Hisar while her mother belongs to Goa.
- In an interview, she revealed that she was very close to her grandfather.
- Shirley is not only a popular singer on YouTube but also a Radio Tarana RJ of the show Showtime with Shirley.
- She is not a trained singer.
- As a kid, she wanted to be an astronaut.
- The first song that she sang on stage was Iktara from Wake Up Sid in 2001.
- In 2012, when she was still in high school, she got a chance to meet the famous Bollywood singer Shreya Ghoshal who had then suggested her to upload YouTube videos.
- Shirley’s first viral video, a cover of ‘Tum Hi Ho’ from ‘Aashiqui 2,’ which was recorded spontaneously at 1 am from her parent’s house in Dannemora, East Auckland while she was in her pyjamas, earned her the nickname ‘Pyjama Popstar.’ The video went on to win a contest conducted by T-Series. From there, her fame grew online. Sharing her thoughts about the video, Shirley said-
If I thought it would get so big in so little time I would have at least posted a good-quality clip – I look like I’m half asleep.”
- When her cover song, like Bol Do Na Zara and Sanam Re, which each has over 23 million views, took the internet by storm, Setia sharpened her skills by learning to edit and shoot videos.
- While working as a part-time radio jockey, Setia earned a degree in Marketing and Information Systems from the University of Auckland.
- In 2015, while she was on vacation in Hyderabad, she put up a Facebook post asking fans to meet her at GVK mall, which, to her surprise, turned out to be a huge public gathering. Shirley says-
I didn’t expect so many people to turn up — the security personnel freaked out and kicked me out of the mall, and yet people followed me, pleading for a picture. You know your social media statistics, but to see it in real life was overwhelming.”
- The GVK mall event pushed Shirley Setia to pursue her passion professionally, and she decided to move to Mumbai.
- In March 2016, Forbes Magazine featured an article on Setia; referring to her as “Bollywood’s Next Big Singing Sensation.”
- In 2017, she made her debut in Bollywood with the song ‘Disco Disco’ in the film ‘A Gentleman.’ In the same year, she decided to stop doing cover music so that she could spend more time on her originals.
- Once, the famous Ghazal singer, Pankaj Udhas had complimented Shirley on her singing style.